Does using tube and tray in MES 40 help or hurt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

barryvabeach

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 12, 2016
Va Beach
Still trying to amp up the smoke flavor. Years ago, I bought a MES 40 gen 1 used, and have used it for several years, mostly pork butts. I have been using the tube forever, and wanted to get more smoke flavor, so I bought a tray. While it gives a longer smoke, I don't notice a smokier flavor in the Bbq, so I have tried lighting both and running at the same time, and still not much more of a smoke flavor.

I run with the tube loader pulled out about an inch or so, and wonder whether have both on at the same time is somehow less helpful.

Also tried to rule out the pellets. Used to use LumberJack Apple, which gave a great smoky flavor, but I think that is discontinued in the US, and instead they sell an Apple blend. Haven't gotten that much in the way of smoke flavor from Bear Mountain Bold, BM Apple, Lumber Jack Hickory, Cooking Pellets Hickory. Currently trying Kingsford Cherrywood. Any suggestions to increase smoke flavor?

I have used the chip tray and the tube before . More smoke is more smoke I guess . I also mix chips in with the pellets in a 12 " tube . Stuff always has more noticeable smoke the next day in my opinion .
I mainly use my MES for sausage and hams . Does a good job with smoke flavor . I use a mailbox and tubes . Can't keep the tray lit , but still trying .
If I do higher temp cooks I burn wood chunks in the tray .
I have all the guts removed and use an Auber controller .
1656940489398.jpeg

I have good air flow and the Auber controller all goes into SAFELY burning wood chunks . Keeping a close eye on it when I first started doing it too . I just don't want to lead you in a bad direction . I have several hours of dialing this in .

Reactions: OldSmoke
See you tried hickory You could try using a mesquite pellet, fruit wood usually gives a lighter smoke flavor, keep your top vent open and I wouldn't add water to your pan if you do, what temps are you smoking at.

See you tried hickory You could try using a mesquite pellet, fruit wood usually gives a lighter smoke flavor, keep your top vent open and I wouldn't add water to your pan if you do, what temps are you smoking at.
I will look out for some mesquite, the only stuff I found locally was Pit Boss, wasn't impressed. Don't use any water, smoking temps around 225 to 250, using a PID

Reactions: smokerjim
Sure sounds like the only issue is the flavor of wood, for the tube should be putting out plenty of smoke itself.

I will look out for some mesquite, the only stuff I found locally was Pit Boss, wasn't impressed. Don't use any water, smoking temps around 225 to 250, using a PID
I read where you mostly do pork butts you can try cutting them in half to create more surface area for smoke , do you wrap them at any time, do you spritz, please dont mind the questions

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
i think your just wasting your time and wood. any piece of meat will only take on just so much smoke flavor ( some more than others ) but after that its just cooking . i know others here will disagree but very little flavor goes past the smoke ring

i think your just wasting your time and wood. any piece of meat will only take on just so much smoke flavor ( some more than others ) but after that its just cooking . i know others here will disagree but very little flavor goes past the smoke ring

I keep seeing you post that statement and you are wrong and spreading bad information. The smoke ring will stop forming but the meat will continue to take in smoke as long as smoke is applied.

Like Piney said, Smoke Ring might stop, but smoke flavor will keep adding on.
It may slow down, because there's only so much room for smoke flavor, but it won't stop.
And IMHO, if you want Smoke Flavor----Hickory, Hickory, Hickory, Hickory, Hickory, Hickory, Hickory, Hickory, Hickory, Hickory, Hickory, Hickory, Hickory, Hickory, Hickory, Hickory, Hickory,Hickory,Hickory, Hickory, Hickory, Hickory, Hickory, Hickory, Hickory, Hickory, Hickory, Hickory, Hickory, Hickory, Hickory, Hickory, Hickory, Hickory, Hickory, Hickory, Hickory, Hickory, Hickory, Hickory, Hickory, Hickory, Hickory, Hickory, Hickory, Hickory, Hickory, Hickory,Hickory,Hickory, Hickory, Hickory, Hickory, Hickory, Hickory, Hickory, Hickory, Hickory, Hickory, Hickory, Hickory, Hickory, Hickory, Hickory, Hickory, Hickory, Hickory, Hickory, Hickory,

Bear

Reactions: Ringer
pineywoods : i don't think i'm the one spreading " bad information" but if you can get a puff of smoke to go through 5-6 inches of solid meat , then we need to get you on Penn andTeller's show because thats a magic trick the whole world would like to see !!!

I tried Hickory - ( LJ and Cooking Pellets ) and did not get enough smoke. I don't wrap or spritz, but I think the idea of cutting into two pieces to get more surface area to absorb the smoke is a good one. As to the Ubolt and dust, I thought I read that dust gives a more gentle smoke flavor, maybe I got that backwards.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky