Does slight temperature drop hurt flavor or juciness

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sdelrio

Original poster
Sep 4, 2022
I forgot to reset the timer on my Bradley Smoker so I had an hour of no heat. Temp of smoker dropped to 125 before I woke up.

Meat temp of Pork Butt dropped from around 160 to155.

So, I know it's all safe to eat, but I am really wondering if this will affect flavor or juciness of the meat. This once happened to me with a brisket and that time it was way too dry.

I forgot to reset the timer on my Bradley Smoker so I had an hour of no heat. Temp of smoker dropped to 125 before I woke up.

So, I know it's all safe to eat, but I am really wondering if this will affect flavor or juciness of the meat. This once happened to me with a brisket and that time it was way too dry.
I wouldn't think it would have any affect on either but maybe someone else will be along to offer more help..

Keith

I actually think it has a positive effect on some things . I've lowered the heat , let it ride for an hour or 2 , then brought the temp up to finish .

Reactions: 912smoker

You were all correct. It was perfect! Thanks for all the replies.

Good post and a great question for others to see. You were right on for temp safety and I also agree with better to go low than come out to a runaway smoker.
:emoji_thumbsup:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky