Does pellet type/flavor really matter?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jlud

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 16, 2019
as many here have mentioned the smoke profile from the pellet grill is less than charcoal or wood and I am ok with that.

My question is, given those limitations does it even matter what type you use or if any flavor provides the most smoke flavoring? I typically prefer hickory, but haven’t found any local. And 40 pound bags of pit boss competitor blend are 13.50 at Lowe’s....is there any benefit in spending more or more flavor to be had?

Thanks!

Great point, should mention not looking to add a tube, just wondering if any value in spending my time or money on different pellets in general.

I have the nearly identical question. Would these be ok to use in my A-MAZE-N? Or, could I use these to mix with flavored pellets?

upload_2019-4-9_12-28-21.png

My question is, given those limitations does it even matter what type you use or if any flavor provides the most smoke flavoring?

I have done blind tasting, and others have as well, and the conclusion is that nobody can tell the difference between different wood species on a pellet grill. However, hickory does seem to provide the strongest smoke flavor. The flavor is not different than the other pellets, just more of it. The one notable exception to this is mesquite which does give a stronger and more unique flavor.

Where are you located? If you're burning a lot, consider a group buy of Lumberjack. Depending on where you are located you should be able to get them more 40 cents or less per lb.

Flame consumes smoke... Flame also makes for higher temperatures.... That's why a pellet smoker can get high temps..

for pellets, the main difference in brands is quality, filler wood, BTUs produced, and pellet size. I have not run any tests but I stick with B&B (rebranded lumberjack iirc) as it's readily available close by. I need to bulk order some pellets at some point. Most likely Lumberjack.

some pellets say "pecan" "cherry" "oak", but are mostly ash or alder and small amounts of identified wood. The ones that are 100% of the labeled wood, will say so and I believe those are worth it.

As for switching between wood types, I can't say I've seen a difference in taste as bregent bregent said. May have to run a test myself at some point to see.

Reactions: MNholla
I'm using the CookinPellets Perfect mix and I really like it. Very clean burning with my AMNPS and mailbox mod. Great flavor.

Reactions: Leggy
CookinPellets Perfect Mix was/is my go to pellet.

But now I've tried Lumberjack 100% Hickory the last few cooks, and just picked up another bag this past Sunday.

I'm hard pressed to tell any taste difference in food grilled with it or food grilled with CookinPellets Perfect Mix. In fact, I'm more than hard pressed. I simply cannot tell the difference in food taste between it and CookinPellets Perfect mix.

But both of them produce a very light smoke flavor if used without a smoke tube, which I don't use when grilling at higher temperatures. It's like choosing the best of the light smoke flavors.

I like CookinPellets Perfect mix, and still have plenty of it. It's $37.00 for 40lbs. Lumberjack around here is $14.99 for 20lbs. I might have a new go to pellet if I can tolerate the additional ash that the Lumberjack does produce. That Lumberjack does get the grill hot quick though. I'm told that this happens because of the smaller size of the Lumberjack pellets.

Edited: Looks like I'll be sticking with CookinPellets Perfect mix for the low and slow temp 225*-250* cooks.

The above comments were made with regard to grilling at 425* plus, where smoke flavor is going to be scant anyway.

Today I did a comparison test of sorts at lower temps using CookinPellets Perfect mix vs Lumberjack 100% hickory.

At the lower temps, namely 225*, and letting it run for around 30 minutes after that temp is hit, CookinPellets Perfect Mix definitely produces more thin blue smoke than does Lumberjack 100% hickory, which "should" translate to better flavor at lower temps.

With the Lumberjack Hickory, under the same conditions, I could saw little to any smoke.

This informal test might not apply to the Lumberjack Maple, Hickory Cherry blend though. and I am comparing the CookinPellets Perfect Mix, which is a blend of Hickory, Maple, Pecan and Cherry, with the straight hickory Lumberjack. So I admit that it may not be a fair test.

The Lumberjack definitely produced more ash.

Last edited:
So everything I’m reading here is if the pit boss comp pellets work for me at 13.50 for a 40 lbs bag but I’m up and I’m most likely not missing anything :)

Thanks all!

Reactions: Misplaced Nebraskan
So everything I’m reading here is if the pit boss comp pellets work for me at 13.50 for a 40 lbs bag but I’m up and I’m most likely not missing anything :)

Sure, but as I said, hickory will produce more smoke flavor. The pit boss pellets are probably mostly lighter flavored woods. So if you want more smoke flavor, give a 100% hickory pellet a try. If you're happy with the amount of smoke flavor you're getting, no need to switch.

You will only notice the difference at lower temps. High heat destroys many of the compounds that impart wood flavor.

Pellet grills/smokers and their firepots are better at producing heat than smoke. You don't get much vaporization of volatile chemicals because they are literally burned up by rapid combustion.

Wood chunks and splits take longer to heat through and burn. Much more vaporization taking place because combustion is slower.

Pellets NEED to smolder or you don't get much out of them.

Reactions: indaswamp
I'm not a pellet smoker owner so I cannot speak from direct experience. I have however read a TON of posts from the pellet smoker guys. It seems that when they really really want good and distinguishable smoke flavor they load up a AMNPS Tube with the pellet they want the flavor from.

Armed with this info if I owned a pellet smoker I would burn the cheapest pellet I could find (probably Pit Boss pellets) for heat and then use an AMNPS Tube with the BEST wood pellets I could find (for me 100% woods that Lumberjack offers).

Now, I am an electric smoker guy who uses pellets in my AMNPS tray for my smoke and I CAN tell you that there is ABSOLUTELY a difference in flavors from different wood pellets.
The Pit Boss Competition Blend (PBCB) is mild in flavor but the flavor is good. I usually burn two rows at once OR I mix 50% PBCB and 50% pure hickory pellets and I get great flavor.

With Lumberjack 100% pellets I get great flavor no matter what. I'm blown away at how amazing the 100% Mesquite pellets are with anything beef related.
I also run their 100% pellets in the following woods and the flavors are also great:
  • Maple - for my ground Venison Pastrami
  • Apple - sausage, bacon, and other stuff. I also a love blending it with Hickory for sausage and bacon. My favorite blend for bacon is 70% Apple, 30% Hickory
  • Cherry - rarely run it by itself I usually blend it with something else
  • Pecan - I use it mostly on turkeys
  • Mesquite - anything/everything beef related - it can't be beat. It also is amazing on chicken and turkey
As you can see with the 100% Lumberjack pellets of each of the flavors above I can blend to any ratios I like. My Hickory is Pefect Pellet brand which is also 100%. I would try 100% Hickory from Lumberjack but I have yet to run out of my 40 pounds of PP hickory.

Anyhow I hope this gives you some good insight. I'll stop rambling now :)

Pellet flavor is most realized if you use an AMNPS or AMNTS for adding smoke...

I'm not a pellet smoker owner so I cannot speak from direct experience. I have however read a TON of posts from the pellet smoker guys. It seems that when they really really want good and distinguishable smoke flavor they load up a AMNPS Tube with the pellet they want the flavor from.

Armed with this info if I owned a pellet smoker I would burn the cheapest pellet I could find (probably Pit Boss pellets) for heat and then use an AMNPS Tube with the BEST wood pellets I could find (for me 100% woods that Lumberjack offers).

Now, I am an electric smoker guy who uses pellets in my AMNPS tray for my smoke and I CAN tell you that there is ABSOLUTELY a difference in flavors from different wood pellets.
The Pit Boss Competition Blend (PBCB) is mild in flavor but the flavor is good. I usually burn two rows at once OR I mix 50% PBCB and 50% pure hickory pellets and I get great flavor.

With Lumberjack 100% pellets I get great flavor no matter what. I'm blown away at how amazing the 100% Mesquite pellets are with anything beef related.
I also run their 100% pellets in the following woods and the flavors are also great:
  • Maple - for my ground Venison Pastrami
  • Apple - sausage, bacon, and other stuff. I also a love blending it with Hickory for sausage and bacon. My favorite blend for bacon is 70% Apple, 30% Hickory
  • Cherry - rarely run it by itself I usually blend it with something else
  • Pecan - I use it mostly on turkeys
  • Mesquite - anything/everything beef related - it can't be beat. It also is amazing on chicken and turkey
As you can see with the 100% Lumberjack pellets of each of the flavors above I can blend to any ratios I like. My Hickory is Pefect Pellet brand which is also 100%. I would try 100% Hickory from Lumberjack but I have yet to run out of my 40 pounds of PP hickory.

Anyhow I hope this gives you some good insight. I'll stop rambling now :)

Thank you both! Will have to finally order a tube and give this a go!

Does SMF have a discount link or anything that anyone knows of or an affiliated link?

Reactions: tallbm
Thank you both! Will have to finally order a tube and give this a go!

Does SMF have a discount link or anything that anyone knows of or an affiliated link?

No link that I know of. Maybe someone else will have some recommendation of how you may want to go about getting the best deal on an AMNPS Tube for the pellet smoker :)

Walmart sells the oval tube for about$20 ,pellets do provide different flavor profiles but without 2 meats side by side you might be hard pressed to tell which if you don't eat a lot of smoked food and a lot of smoke already in the smoker you will get flavors from past cooks imo

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky