Does length matter?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dave11

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 6, 2005
Spring Hill,Fla
Can anyone tell me if the length of a thermometer matters? I want to build a UDS,and don't know if I should go with a short stem,or one about 10 inchs or so. Or does it even matter. Thanks in advance, Dave

My wife says length matters...

Sorry had to open with that.  Now to get out of the gutter.  In all seriousness length is going to matter because you are going to get the temp along the length of the probe.  If you have a short stem and it is only towards the outside edge of the UDS then it isn't going to be as accurate as getting a reading from more towards the center of the UDS.  That is why you see more people saying that the temp gauge on the outside of most any smoker is normally inaccurate.  It can't actually get a good read of all the heat.

Maybe some of the pro's around here have more information but that is the best I can give you.

NickyB

That's what I was thinking,but I wasn't sure.From the research I've done,no one has been very clear on this.All most of them say is "The thermometer isn't very accurate". I just want to solve potential problems before I get started.I've never worked with a smoker this big before,and thought Id ask. Thank you!
thumb1.gif
P.S Mine too. Thats Why Im divorced! lol

Last edited:
Dave, morning.....  I would go with the 2" probes on installed therms....  You can measure the difference from the grate to where they are installed by using a cabled electric therm......  That difference will remain pretty much the same so if there is a 15 degree difference, allow for it every time you cook..  2" probes will escape being bent too.... Once bent, pitch 'em....  Dave

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky