Does fattier meat absorb more smoke than lean?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

busmania

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 10, 2015
Centennial, co
I’ve been reverse searing filets the last couple times I’ve eaten steak. I smoke em to about 115 internal then a short rest then sear. My wife (who doesn’t eat much meat) loves them and they’ve never been overly Smokey.

Last night I did the same method but with a fatty piece of rib eye steak. They were very Smokey. I still enjoyed it but my wife not as much. She usually likes the rib eye steak the way I’ve done it in the past which is reverse sear in oven rather than smoker.

So my question is, does the fatty meat absorb more smoke and therefore come out smokier? Or was it the fact the rib eye is a thinner but wider cut whereas the filet is a super thick cut and more of a “chunk” of meat?

I only care because I’m about to do steaks for my family of 12 the day after thanksgiving and don’t want them too Smokey and trying to decide which method to go with.

Not sure about the lean verses fat, but I would guess like you said the rib steak is thinner, can you control how long you add smoke, maybe just add less smoke to the rib.not sure if your using a electric or wood smoker or maybe use a more mild wood.im sure some of the pros will be around.

Ive seen it said that smoke “sticks” to wet surfaces. Perhaps the rendering fat offers a moister surface for the smoke to adhere to?

Surface Area...A slab of rib eye has greater SA than a fist sized piece of Filet. Ounce for ounce a Pork Chop has more surface area to weight than a 8 pound Butt. So each bite of the chop can be way smokier than a fork full of Pulled Pork. As mentioned, moisture attracts the and holds on to the bad components of smoke, like Creosote. Hence the reason smoking instructions for high moisture meats like fish and chicken say dry to form a surface pellicle...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky