Does anyone have the WSM that DOESN'T like it?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nursewizzle

Smoke Blower
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 10, 2013
Iowa City, Iowa
Guy on Craigslist is selling the WSM 22 for $270. Seems like a great deal but I'm concerned I wouldn't like it, or maybe it's not big enough for big briskets, etc.

A 22.5" WSM can handle full packers. 16 lbs, pre-trim, is the largest I've smoked on mine. Usually I buy 12-15 lb packers.

I suppose there are folks out there that don't like their WSM. I've seen posts from a few who tried to use the same technique on a WSM that they used on a different smoker. Sometimes just changing charcoal can make a huge difference in performance. And the instructions that come with the smoker are outdated. They don't represent the techniques used by the vast majority of WSM owners here.

So, I'll let the folks who don't like the WSM speak up. I love mine and do everything from 150F jerky to 350F turkeys.

Thanks for the reply.

I forgot my other concern, besides size, is wondering if it is a pain getting dog on the lower grate if it finishes before the top grate.

I been using 18 for 20 years. It does whole briskets and ribs. Great temp control and on the 18 get 8 to 10 hours on just over 1/2 full ring. For me its the best smoker. I dont know anything about the 22 though.

Thanks for the reply.

I forgot my other concern, besides size, is wondering if it is a pain getting dog on the lower grate if it finishes before the top grate.

It just takes planning to use both the upper and lower grate. Plan it so the top grate finishes first. My lower grate runs a little cooler than the top grate so it isn't a problem.

When I do jerky, I take the bottom grate out, put two 4"x8" cement bricks against the handles of the top grate, load the meat, then put the lower grate on the bricks and load more meat. Let me find a picture. The lid still fits perfectly.

Last edited:
After ten years use with my 18" WSM, I can't imagine anyone having a serious dislike of it, unless they just haven't committed the very short amount of time that it takes to learn the smoker.

I'de buy a 22, in good shape, for that price in a heart beat.

I actually sold mine after 6 years of great use. I now use my Akorn kamado and my old Richard Johnson kamado. The only reason being I like to smoke year round and the Weber will do that but it will use a lot of lump when the temps get below freezing. The kamados are fuel misers, especially the old Richard Johnson. Looks like you are in Iowa so if you bbq year round consider an Akorn, with a few mods they are a very good smoker.
Edit: Looks like you already have the Weber, you will like it as it does an amazing job!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky