Does anyone have a cure for turkey?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Cure you can use pop's brine or others that are listed in the poultry heading on this forum. I'm still old school everything 225.

Warren

I just let mine walk around in my yard for awhile!
Perks them right up:

Bear

IMG_3433.jpg

Reactions: sqwib
I just let mine walk around in my yard for awhile!
Perks them right up:

Bear

View attachment 394076
It's that time of year down here. Turkey season ends this weekend in Louisiana. I have a store bought 15lb. turkey on the smoker as I type. Using BDskelly's recipe. I've done the butter under the beast before and I've stuffed with apple....never stuffed with orange, lemon, lime and apple. Looking forward to the results. Since the bird was a honeysuckle that had already been brined, I just injected with Cajun Injector roasted garlic and herb.

Should make some awesome turkey sandwiches for our trip to Kansas next week...

We don't use lead shot for that reason.

Bear
I posted that tongue in cheek....

Actually, birds don't get lead poisoning from lead pellets in their flesh, they get lead poisoning from ingesting the pellets as grit in their craw. Tons of research has been done into this. Lake Catahoula in Central Louisiana is a Canvasback duck mecca, and the clay bottom is littered with lead shot from hundreds of years of waterfowling.

I volunteered to collect gizzards from shot birds at our duck camp for a study by LSU. Amazing the number of lead pellets in duck gizzards.....

That works , but you need to adjust the salt for 2 3/4 , 3 , or 3 1/2 " shell .

Hey Bear, what about using spices for a 12 gauge turkey load.
They actually had a company that made "season shot".....Not certain if it was just a gimmick or was to be use actually shooting at birds.... I don't think they make that shot any longer though, I only saw it around for 1 year.

I posted that tongue in cheek....

Actually, birds don't get lead poisoning from lead pellets in their flesh, they get lead poisoning from ingesting the pellets as grit in their craw. Tons of research has been done into this. Lake Catahoula in Central Louisiana is a Canvasback duck mecca, and the clay bottom is littered with lead shot from hundreds of years of waterfowling.

I volunteered to collect gizzards from shot birds at our duck camp for a study by LSU. Amazing the number of lead pellets in duck gizzards.....

Eagles & other animals eat game that had lead shot in them, and consume some lead.
I have on more than one occasion spit BBs out while eating one of my Mother's Rabbit Pies, but no doubt I missed a few.
I would recommend they stop using Lead in shot, but it varies from State to State.
I haven't hunted in years, but I think PA allows lead now.
I know if I had a choice between Lead & Steel, I'd choose steel, no matter what the law allowed. Sometimes we have to do what we think is right, even if we aren't forced.

Bear

Eagles & other animals eat game that had lead shot in them, and consume some lead.
I have on more than one occasion spit BBs out while eating one of my Mother's Rabbit Pies, but no doubt I missed a few.
I would recommend they stop using Lead in shot, but it varies from State to State.
I haven't hunted in years, but I think PA allows lead now.
I know if I had a choice between Lead & Steel, I'd choose steel, no matter what the law allowed. Sometimes we have to do what we think is right, even if we aren't forced.

Bear
Ah, yes...birds of prey. They do consume some animals that have been shot and not recovered, and do consume some lead pellets. This supports the point I was making though that the pathway for lead poisoning of birds is through ingestion with the pellets being ground up in the gizzard. I support the use of steel shot for waterfowl hunting, but I do think some states have gone overboard on the lead ban. I see no reason to ban lead rifle bullets like California has done.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky