Doctor's sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Might not all be air . Maybe some small fat pockets . Looks like some of the pieces on the chub .
Absolutely agreed on some pieces of fat on the chubs.... and thank you for noticing that. I was going to mention that in my thread but forgot of that while typing... Yes, some fat wasn't emulsified completely and I guess this is because I tried not to run my food processor longer then 45 sec - 1 min. Maybe I had to run it for one and a halve minute but I didn't want to warm the meat too much.... I was considering buying a "snow" maker so I could use snow ice instead of ice water and be safe but.... little to many toys in my arsenal with a limited space to keep them. I am sure every member of this forum having this problem.... Saying that.... I don't think that fat is causing air packets in the chubs. I think (and maybe I am wrong) that emulsification process with using a food processor creates a lot of air in the meat butter. Like when you whip a cream, sort of.... This is possible air packets avoidable using Champion juicer.... I would like someone who own this juicer chime in on this....

Might not all be air . Maybe some small fat pockets . Looks like some of the pieces on the chub .
Might be, but I’m thinking not. These are voids consistent with air more than a piece of fat. At least from my view. Here are a couple of mine. Same as was originally posted.
D45D43E2-E645-4E52-A089-F7ACF1BFC6AD.jpeg

17D2D9B5-CE80-480D-8BEA-AC14E0ECBC34.jpeg

I was curious about the name, so I found this on Wikipedia: Soviet Doctor Sausage

Note the last part under "Later changes".

Thanks for the update. This makes your recipe all the more important for original and valid Doctor Sausage. That was NOT the smartest decision to make. 🤦‍♂️ Sounds like they picked-up the wrong ideas from our manufacturers in the West?! 🍻
I looked it up in my Marianski Brothers Greatest Sausage Recipes book, and on a whim I checked to see if it was published online. It was. Interesting cooking method with the smoking at the end.

Last edited:
I looked it up in my Marianski Brothers Greatest Sausage Recipes book, and on a whim I checked to see if it was published online. It was. Interesting cooking method with the smoking at the end.

This recipe is very close to the original recipe dated 1938 but with a couple of exceptions: original recipe calls for 0.3 g of cardamon. I though this is not enough of this spice and for 4.4 kg of meat I added 2 g of cardamon instead of 1.3 g. Secondly, smoke is not included in the original process - I added one hour of smoke just for my liking.... I think this is what we all do sometimes: we adjust recipes for our liking. Sometimes it works - sometimes not really. In ,this case it worked perfectly for me.... next time I will add a little more of cardamon.... :emoji_wink:
BTW, one chub is gone. Second on it's way. Prepared two chubs for each: my son, brother, mother-in-law, friend and co-worker body... Not a lot left for myself... Not a problem - I know what to do.... :emoji_laughing:

Last edited:
Yum, that looks so tasty and the addition of smoke is awesome. I think we call that fritz in Australia?. I love it, I like to fry some with eggs.
Thank you! I am sure you would like it fried it with eggs. Personally, I like it on piece of bread with some cheese... Maybe with some butter - like from my childhood.... I appreciate your like!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky