Do I use black steel for air intakes?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jamiem

Original poster
Nov 10, 2013
Hinesville Ga
I've found that people are using pipe nipples for the air intake.  I went to home depot yesterday to get them.  I don't think people are using the galvanized so I bought the 'black steel' nipples.  Are those safe or do we need to buy something else.  I know they are on the outside of the drum but the air is going through them so I didn't want the galvanized because I hear so many people talk about the harmful vapors when it gets to a certain temperature.

Yes black pipe is what is used. It is safe. The galvanized however even on the outside of the drum will still get hot enough to make some nasties.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky