Do I have a good plan?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Timbo74

Original poster
Aug 10, 2018
Hello, I am new to the forum, but not new to smoking meat. I am about to smoke a 2.6 lbs brisket in my masterbuilt electric smoker. I have never attempted such a small brisket, and I'm worried about drying it out.
My plan is to rack it for the first hour, wrap it in foil with Apple juice for hour two, then rack it for hour three, mopping every half hour until temp reaches 170. Is this a good plan?

0810181210_Film5.jpg

Before

Reactions: agrasyuk
I think 170 to 175 is good for slicing, I won't be pulling it.

You've got a brisket flat there. The meat is fully cooked at 130-140F, but I wouldn't want to eat it. It will taste dry and tough.

Your fear of "drying out the meat" is unfounded. Brisket gets its juiciness from melted collagen, the tough fibers that give the working muscle it's strength on the animal. It doesn't get its juiciness from the water or liquid that oozes out of the meat. It is also extremely lean, so fat doesn't play into the equation either.

If you take it off at 170F, slice it with a machine, against the grain, as thin as you can. If you're hand slicing, it is more challenging.

If you want juicy, tender meat, leave it in the smoker and start probing the flat with a toothpick, temp probe, or dual prong fork for tenderness at 190-195F. If the meat pushes back, it's not ready. Leave it on until the probe slides right in. 200F is my go to target for slicing, but it can be ready a few degrees before then, to a few degrees after.

Overcooked brisket will be tender, dry, and crumbly. Undercooked brisket will be dry and tough, chewy.

Try the 170F if you want, but it won't be juicy or tender.

Reactions: KrisUpInSmoke
For years I have been smoking my pork butt, chuck roast, and briskets to 200 degrees, I have experimented with other temps to take off, but I always go back to 200.

Occasionally I will want to slice a roast, and take it off at 175 to 180.

Ok, I'll start probing at 195 and shoot for 200 then, I am no expert with brisket...so I won't argue.

Reactions: 73saint
Ok, 1st hour down. I just wrapped it up in foil, and added a bit of juice. So far so good.

Right now 3 hours into the smoke the temp is sitting at 172, I'm really thankful for all the advice. I know this puppy has a while to go. After this brisket hits target temp, when I pull it out of the smoker a brisket this small, do I need to wrap it and let it rest? Do I just let it rest un-wrapped? Or should I just dig in? How long do I let it rest?

Here's the finished product

It turned out as close to perfect as I could ask for....man it is good. Thanks for the pointers.
0810181902_Film5.jpg

Any sliced pics?? Glad the forum members could help. Thats what we are bout, helping others.

Well done! I would recommend always wrapping and letting your brisket rest before carving. Personally I use 30 minutes to 1 hour for resting.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky