diy smoke generator

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

monoxide

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 29, 2012
Englewood, FL
does any one have any plans on how to make a smoke generator? also i was thinking since a cardboard box is safe to cold smoke in what about a 35 to 55 gallon plastic drum? i know it wouldnt be good for hot smoking but what about cold smoking cheese? i was thinking i could use a coffee can for a smoke generator. i just dont know how to light it and keep it lit. i want to get a a-maze-n pellet smoker but right now my funds wont let me. "funds being my girl and her daughter" lol. i have a little box i welded up in school but it is to small to use unless i put it in a coffee can and used that for a smoker. lol. so any ideas and if it is safe to use this drum i have?

You can use the Soldering Iron in a can of Chips...Lots of guys do...The Plastic Barrel should be fine as long as it was food grade...As far as Hot smoking if you use an Electric source for heat and keep temp below 250*F, I imagine the plastic would handle that low heat and not melt...
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif
...Use it for your cold smoker build and save any shavings that come off from drilling holes...Heat the shaving in an oven at 200-225-250 and 300*F to see if there is any change...That will give you a definitive answer...Heres more info...JJ

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/101226/soldering-iron-and-cold-smoking

If your iron has solder on the tip... Don't use it.... It could be lead... buy a new one for $9 at w-mart...... Dave

If your iron has solder on the tip... Don't use it.... It could be lead... buy a new one for $9 at w-mart...... Dave

yea that was a give in the tip on mine is clean but has like melted off from use. i will grab another one one of these days. what about using a hot plate or some thing? and just setting it low

I'm working on a cold smoke generator made out of an O2 bottle. When its complete I will post the pics and it should give you some idea's

I pulled these pics from Chef JJ's post... #2 in this thread.... This should give you an idea... Dave

I will have to try that one. I have that same soldering iron bad thing is it has solder on it. I'll have to grab a new one.

Can you cold smoke burgers or a steak? Like not cook it but just get that strong smokey flavor all we have are propane grills except for at my dads house and I love the smokey flavor.

You definately should NOT cold smoke Hamburger...As far as Grills go, a double or triple thick HD Aluminum foil pouch with Wood Chips and some holes punched in, placed just touching but not directly on a burner will make plenty of Smoke for Burgers and Steaks...JJ

Thanks jimmy. If I do foil over the chips do I just build a box or do I cover fully with holes in it for air and smoke

here is the smoke generator i made. my soldering iron had soulder on the tip of it so i cut off about a 1/4 inch of the tip and it is clean down there so idk if i should still use it or not. i plan to get a a-maze-n smoker but right now i cant afford it all my money is going to fixing my truck up so its safe to drive. lol let me know if i even did it right.

3adf5a38_e618d1dc66.jpg

Monoxide, evening,   Hey, looks good... Are you happy with the smoke ???  It should burn chips, pellets and sawdust just fine.... Get it going.. creat smoke... take pictures....  We love pictures you know.....  Dave

I haven't been able to try the smoke I wanted to know if I set the can up right. I don't think there is any lining on the inside. It was a can of peas from Walmart if that helps any. Also my soldering iron had solder on the tip so I cut the tip off to where no solder was but I wanted some input from the experts if it is safe to use now.

Monoxide, morning.......    Put the iron in the can about 1/4 full of chips... plug it in.... watch to see what kind of smoke you get.... how long it lasts.... if it catches on fire.... if you are happy with the way it works.... take pics.....  If it starts to burn (flames), close the flap on the end of the can to reduce the amount of oxygen getting to the chips..... take more pics..... we all can learn something here....

Lots of folks who have not used this "soldering iron" method are checking in to learn something....  GO FOR IT !!!! ... become a shining star on SMF and teach them how to do it....  If you have a failure, that will be a learning experience for yourself and others as a "how not to do it" lesson....  It is all good... do not worry.... I report my failures on here to try and save others from errors in judgment (or lack of knowledge).......   Now, your next post should be a complete tutorial on how you made the can... size hole... etc.... amount of chips... how long it burned... and what you would do different the next time, so we have a valuable learning experience from your cold smoking tin can soldering iron build...  It is all good.....

Your friend in the long smokey ride....   Dave

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky