DIY Charcoal

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ddow229

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 10, 2022
Christian County, MO
I have a bunch of white oak and black walnut trees I am going to be culling out. I am already making my own splits and chunks so I thought it would be good to try out making my own charcoal. I have watched several YouTube’s but am wondering if anyone here has made their own and had any advice. I plan on doing the double barrel technique.
Thanks in advance.

Over the years we've had some members make their own don't know anybody that is active that does it. We also had a member or two that set up some kind of fire pit right buy the smoker and would start a fire in the pit then scoop hot coals right into the firebox as needed for the entire cook

Reactions: Retired Spook
I have made charcoal in the past and plan to do so again. Oak would be great. Not sure about the walnut.

Reactions: ddow229
I moved from northern New York to northeast Pennsylvania last year. In New York I did not use the retort method but plan to here.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky