Disposal of water and grease from smokers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cheflusk420

Original poster
Nov 5, 2020
currently using Myron Mixon water smokers. What is the best way to dispose of the grease water mixture when I clean out the smokers. Reached out to a few local bio dispel companies but they are concerned about the water content Any ideas

thanks

Ain't likes it gas or diesel, if you live in the burbs just toss it down the sewer, fish down the line will love it and get bigger. If you live in the country let the animals have it, make some pigs real happy I bet. RAY

I use jumbo baggies, fill them up and put them in the spare fridge.
Once the fat turns solid I drain the water into the yard and place the hard fat in the food waste recycle bin for the city to collect.
Before Austin started food waste recycling I used to put the hard fat (in a baggie) in the trash can.

Correct, you do not want that stuff in your compost pile.

First, it is biodegradable. Throw a dead pig in a field and watch Mother Earth's biology take care of what the carnivores don't.

Second, I am not too worried about optimizing the biological activity in my grass clippings pile. I throw some lime on it from time to time and the microorganisms are happy.

Last edited:
First, it is biodegradable. Throw a dead pig in a field and watch Mother Earth's biology take care of what the carnivores don't.

Second, I am not too worried about optimizing the biological activity in my grass clippings pile. I throw some lime on it from time to time and the microorganisms are happy.
Theres a difference between plant matter and animal matter. If its just a grass clippings pile and thats all you use it as then throw whatever in it. You do not want any animal matter in a real compost pile used for composting. It stunts the breakdown of the organic matter and attracts pests. It doesnt break down near as fast as the plant matter. I can throw a car in a field too and watch mother nature break it down over time, doesnt mean it belongs in a compost bin.

I toss my grease water in the rocky area of my yard where I don't want any plant life. That stuff will kill your lawn fast (I learned that one the hard way).

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky