Dijon mustard pulled pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Codymurphy14

Original poster
Apr 26, 2020
Hello I’m a first time poster. Have any of you used Dijon mustard as a base for your pork shoulder? I’ve always used regular mustard and some ketchup but want to try something new. Any tips/tricks are greatly appreciated!

Shush, people don't need to know every little secret.....just kidding, well sort of. LOL!!!

I've been using a Dijon base for my rubs for many, many years now, not even my partners know why my ribs and pork butt's taste so good. I always have a big jar of this hidden in the back of the refer or the bottom of my ice chest when we are on the road.

I get it at the local restaurant supply or Cash and Carry or Smart and Final for a few bucks.

Try it on beef and fowl as well, I basically use it on everything I smoke now, it's not an overpowering change to the taste but it's just enough to let you know it's there. Some people can't taste it at all it just depends how people eat. When I eat something that I like I will sit there and analyze what I am tasting and try to figure out how I'm going to replicate it at home while other people just eat it and say yum that is good....lol
For anything pork, if you like a little sweet kick try adding 1/4 - 1/2 cup of honey to the mustard before you rub down your meat or fowl.

That's my little tip or trick for you.:emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

Best of luck.
Dan
1587978867324.png

Last edited:
Hello I’m a first time poster. Have any of you used Dijon mustard as a base for your pork shoulder? I’ve always used regular mustard and some ketchup but want to try something new. Any tips/tricks are greatly appreciated!
Every pork shoulder I've smoked for pulled pork usually starts with a good mustard rub-down before applying a dry rub. My preference is Dijon, which adds a bit more 'sharpness' (tang) over regular yellow mustard. I've also used brown mustards as well. ALL mustards are fairly subtle at the end of a long smoke, and that's probably why I prefer dijon as it seems to have more 'kick.'

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky