different types of smokers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chris_harper

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Nov 21, 2006
Waco, TX
hey folks. i am a moderator on a motorcycle forum i am on. i have my own section, for bbq, on there. the forum admin made a post to me about what should she look for in a smoker. i have gave her a link to this site before, but i know what she wants is for me to explain the different types, and what to look for, so everyone can read it. she knows i just started bbq'ing, and am not an expert. so i need some help here on explaining vertical vs. horizontal; and LP vs. electric vs. charcoal/wood. any tips?

Hmm, I remember reading something like this when I first got into smoking. The main things it said to look for were quality construction; the edges and seams all looked tight, thickness of the material, since thin metal lets heat escape easier, and some features, like a removable ash pan (man, I wish I had a removable ash pan now!)

As for the size or type of smoker, that is all a matter of preference. You can make award winning BBQ from a vertical, horizontal, big, small, bullet, a old drum, propane tanks; just about anything a guy could imagine.

However, most new people like the BULLET type smokers because they are small and less expensive than the other types. I think because of their popularity, some guides for newbies focus on bullet smokers a little more because they are the most popular for someone new to smoking.

Lastly, if I were writing a guide to buying a smoker for newbies, I would be sure to include a few details about the basic modifications that people make to these smokers.

As for using the smoker, that's a whole different guide ;)

good tips, pyre. i think i will just do a psot highlighting pretty much what you said.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky