Different pork ham recipe....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I

I am not sure i understand the logic. The salt and cure amounts are measured for green weight knowing in advance the dry weight will be 35% less. It's been like that since ancient times.
Using smaller amount because the final weight is smaller is like using less salt in soup because some water will evaporate during cooking.
Why do you want to try this? Regular recipe is too salty for you?
As for the argument that your friend is still around....i know many (cigarette) smokers alive and kicking.
Why do I want to try this? Good question.... cuz my friend is from Italy, Pontremoli, small place near Parma and Parma is known for one of the best prosciutto makers... He said this is how they did prosciutto for generations... I am intrigued cuz it's different than what I know about curing...

As far as i know prosciutto di parma is made without cure and with more salt than 2.5%, applied in two stages.
I dont know how do they make prosciutto di Parma... I always use cure #2 when dry/aging... its just that I never thought that bones and skin could be deducted in order to lower salt amount... anyhow, I'll try this cure recipe just to see how it goes but even at slightest suspicion that something could be wrong I'll toss it out... it cost me only 35 Canadian dollars so its not big loss if doesnt work...

I dont know how do they make prosciutto di Parma... I always use cure #2 when dry/aging... its just that I never thought that bones and skin could be deducted in order to lower salt amount... anyhow, I'll try this cure recipe just to see how it goes but even at slightest suspicion that something could be wrong I'll toss it out... it cost me only 35 Canadian dollars so its not big loss if doesnt work...
Good luck and let us know.

Cured dry products - country ham, country style pork shoulder, prosciutto, etc. These products are prepared from a single piece of meat and the curing ingredients are rubbed into the surface of the meat several times during the curing period. Nitrite is applied to the surface of the meat or poultry as part of a cure mixture. If you look at the FSIS nitrite limits you will see that the maximum nitrite limit for Dry Cured Products (625 ppm) is four times higher than for Comminuted Products (156 ppm). The reason that there are much higher allowable nitrite limits for dry cured products is that nitrite dissipates rapidly in time. The dry cured products are air dried for a long time. When the product is ready for consumption it hardly contains any nitrite left. Those higher limits guarantee a steady supply of nitrite in time. That positively contributes to the safety of the product and its color. To cure meat for sausages and to stay within 156 ppm nitrite limit we must apply no more than 1 oz of Cure #1 for each 25 lb of meat. To dry cure 25 lb of pork butts and to stay within 625 nitrite limits we can apply 4 times more of Cure #1, in our case 4 ounces. Keep in mind that when you add Cure #1 (there is 93.75% salt in it) you are adding extra salt to your meat and you may re-adjust your recipe.

Marianski, Stanley. Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages (Kindle Locations 995-1000). Bookmagic LLC. Kindle Edition.

Marianski, Stanley. Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages (Kindle Locations 989-995). Bookmagic LLC. Kindle Edition.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky