Did I make a good purchase electric smoker??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
View attachment 391362 When I did the PID mod I realized the bulb socket had screw terminals so I put a block of wood on the outside of the smoker and drilled through the inside hole out. The manual says 15 or 25 watts but since I wired and shrink tubed a16 guage extension cord for a 40 watt bulb the light is worth while. Plug in on, unplug off. Sealed with with RTV 700° silicone.
What’s the PID mod?

This is my most recent masterbuilt as well. I don’t intend my opinion to be a deterrent, all of them have some shortcomings at the price point. Since I intended to mod it from the beginning, this may or may not be useful information for you. Out of the box I never used the chiploader, I used an amnps tray. The light is useless. The temp probe is unreliable. The unit itself holds temp far better than the 130 models I believe due to the higher wattage element, but it’s not perfect. Buy the leg kit or a stand or build a platform. I made a mailbox mod of sorts to hold the pellet tray, and I installed an Auber WiFi pid. Now it smokes consistently for 10 hours and holds temp within 5 degrees. I did a mini review that I will attempt to link here in a minute. Technical difficulties lol.

Keep the 140s
Buy an amnps pellet tray.
Get a good wireless thermometer
This unit will serve you well with only minimum additional expense.

I quoted your post #2 but forgot to insert it in my post #20. It was in regards to the light being useless. Since I bypassed the Mes electronics for the PID controller, using only the high heat wiring, I lost the ability to turn on the light so I did what I mentioned above with a 40 watt bulb for useful light. The ceramic socket is stamped 75 watts so I got the highest wattage with that style of bulb base.

Reactions: sm0kin
I quoted your post #2 but forgot to insert it in my post #20. It was in regards to the light being useless. Since I bypassed the Mes electronics for the PID controller, using only the high heat wiring, I lost the ability to turn on the light so I did what I mentioned above with a 40 watt bulb for useful light. The ceramic socket is stamped 75 watts so I got the highest wattage with that style of bulb base.
Ahhh! Now it makes sense to me lol

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky