did a shoulder butt roast last night

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chris_harper

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Nov 21, 2006
Waco, TX
last night i did a 9.08 pound "pork shoulder butt roast". i took it to 200° and let it rest for 2 hours. i place it on the cutting board, so i could pull it. it was so tender, i didn't need a knife at all. i also did a sage fatty, 24 ABT's, a package of bratwurst links (5 links), and a package of "beef chuck ribs".
the roast had a nice bark on it, and tasted excellent. i put chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, cinnamon, black pepper, and turbinado sugar on it for my rub. my mop was apple juice, red wine vinegar, and black pepper.
for the ribs, the rub was cayenne pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. the mop was apple juice, beer, and chili powder. the ABT's were stuffed with cheddar and wrapped with bacon. the brats and fatty received no rub or mop.
i did the ribs with the 3-2-1 method. they were so tender, i picked up a rack by the bone (they are small racks) and the bone just fell out. they were good, but needed more spices. the brats were very good, my first time doing brats. i will do them again. i will add pics of the pulled pork later.

Chris with 3-2-1 method if you leave the ribs in for 2 hours in foil with liquid added it will wash the flavor and over cook the ribs. At about 45 min in the foil start checking for tenderence and remove from the foil when you can stick tooth pick in the meat between the rib bones, it should feel like the toothpick is going into warm butter. Also a very light dusting of rub when they go back on the grill will help, glaze and serve.

ahhh, thanks for that info, jim. that must have been it. they were good, but just not good enough to me.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky