Devilled Tri-tip

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

oddegan

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 27, 2017
Fremont Michigan
One of the things I smoked for the 4th was a big Tri-tip and I had about a pound left over. Gears started turning. Always loved devilled ham growing up and have been making it out of my back bacon heels for a while now. Great stuff. Idea. Devilled Tri-tip.
Ran it through the fine plate on the grinder and moistened with a bit of mayo.
IMG_20180705_155427238.jpg

Spread some on some homemade flat bread. Topped with sauteed shrooms, some caramelized onions and a bit of shredded cheddar.
IMG_20180705_202956805.jpg
IMG_20180705_204436048.jpg
IMG_20180705_204603222.jpg

Grilled indirect on medium for about 10 minutes. WOW! One of those sammies that are way more than the sum of their parts.

Great trick and awesome looking sandwiches . I like the Underwood canned stuff, in a pinch, but agree homemade is best. I add mustard and a dash of Whooshy Sauce to the mix...JJ

May that looks way better than the stuff my wife likes to eat out of a can LOL

I never really research deviled ham, sure thought there was a lot more to it than that. Yet another reason I need a grinder in my arsenal.

Definitely like, for posting something out of the box!

Looks mighty good Jared,

Point for sure.

Chris

Thanks everyone for your kind words. The two older kids are basically out of the house and the youngest is 17 so it's not like she's around a lot. I'm struggling to learn how to cook for fewer people so I keep ending up with more leftovers than I planned on. Learning to get creative.

Looks Awesome Jared!!
Like JJ, I love the Underwood in a can, but I'm sure yours is even better!!
Nice Job & Great Idea!!
Like.

Bear

So you just ran the cooked tri tip through the grinder with the smallest plate and mixed with mayo then stacked on those sandwiches for the grill? You know that looks like a really interesting take. I just might have to try this. I only have the kitchen aid grinder attachment for my mixer. Do you think that would work with the small plate the same way? I've only ground raw meat in the past for chili and I'm certain I used the more coarse plate. That looks good with all that cheese. Did you put some grilled onions or mushrooms on there too? Very nice job.

George

The Tri-tip was rubbed with Weber Chile Coco and then smoked with apple to 140 IT. My wife likes it a little more well done. Fine plate through the grinder. I cut the meat into fairly small pieces when it's cooked and I'm using the fine plate. Sauteed baby bellas, caramelized onions and some extra sharp cheddar. I don't have a grinder attachment for my KitchenAid but as long as you don't force it it should handle it just fine.

Just remembered---A long time ago, before I could make my own Dried Beef:

I got my Deer Hind quarter back from the processor, and it was too well done & Tough.
I cut it in small chunks & ran it through the food processor, until it was like a heavy Dust.
Then I mixed it with some Miracle Whip, which is what I always used with my Dried Beef Sammies.
Then all I needed was Bread & a slice of American Cheese for my favorite Sammy.

Bear

The Tri-tip was rubbed with Weber Chile Coco and then smoked with apple to 140 IT. My wife likes it a little more well done. Fine plate through the grinder. I cut the meat into fairly small pieces when it's cooked and I'm using the fine plate. Sauteed baby bellas, caramelized onions and some extra sharp cheddar. I don't have a grinder attachment for my KitchenAid but as long as you don't force it it should handle it just fine.
Thanks Jared, I'll keep this in mind for some future tri tip leftovers.

George

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky