Dehydrating Limes to make Lime Powder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
So, I saw a recipe for a Lime Chipotle snack stick online. The recipe called for buying Lime powder, but I looked around and found that making lime powder is fairly straight forward...all you have to do is slice the limes into 1/8" slices and dehydrate them on a dehydrator, then pulverize in a spice grinder. And since I have access to a lime tree that is loaded with fruit, I'd like to go that route since I also have homemade chipotle powder for the recipe. The recipe did not really say how much lime powder to use. My question is if anyone could give me a ball park to shoot for per 5# of meat? I know that with citric acid it is recommended @ 1tsp. per 5# if using as a flavoring enhancer and not as a cure accelerator. But I do not know the average concentration of citric acid in a lime. Guess I could test it with my pH meter and do some calculations, but if someone has already used this before it would save me some math and trial/error.

chef jimmyj chef jimmyj ....

• Love
Reactions: kruizer
You have a lime tree? Jealous.
Why not use fresh lime juice and avoid the extra steps of dehydrating?
Not a clue on adding the correct amount of acidic. Still learning.

I don't want to ceviche the meat paste, that is why I am adding lime powder. After doing more research, I will dehydrate more lime zest for inclusion into the powder.

I am not going to add any other acidic ingredient or ferment this batch. The citric acid from the lime should be enough, but if I over shoot and add too much, the meat paste will get mushy. I will probably need to monitor the pH of the meat paste to dial it in.

Hey there Swamp Man...Whole Lemons and Limes contain up to 8% Citric Acid by weight. If you are making Lime Powder from whole fruit, I would suggest using a New, good quality, Peeler and remove the Zest leaving as much of the white Pith behind. You can then remove an discard the Pith, retaining and slicing the fruit. You will lose a little juice but Sharp Tools and a gentile touch will limit that. The Pith is bitter and that flavor will be concentrated in the powder. Good Luck my friend...JJ

Started drying them tonight in my drying chamber...

Using 9 limes. May not need it all, but better to have it than need it when I go to make the snack sticks.
1596258055851.jpeg

1596258056526.jpeg
1596258033817.jpeg
1596258034469.jpeg

Keeping the zest separate from the fruit. May need to add more of the zest to get the more lime flavoe with less tart.
1596254396737.jpeg
1596254398551.jpeg

Perfect! Nice Peeler and Knife Work. This stuff is going to be great...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky