Deer Ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Try injecting the ham. Or wrap in bacon. Or do both. These should help keep it from dry out as fast.

I am doing two of them today. I plan on doing the mustard smear and seasoning rub, then wrap them in bacon. I want them for pulled meat, and knowing that they still might dry out a bit, I am going to pull them at 190*, foil wrap, blanket wrap, and let sit for 2 hours. (resting) After that I will see how they look and feel. If I think they need a bit more bark, back into the smoker for an hour or so.

I have used a pre-mixed package for deer ham from a company located in Ohio. Our Gander Mountain stores carry the product. It is a whole kit with injection mix the ham soaks in for about 5 days, a mesh bag to hang in the smoker and all the instructions. Turned out pretty good.

I pulled mine out at 155, blanketed and rested for an hour, and it was almost too tough to cut. 190 may be a little steep. Im not sure though, let us know how it goes.

I have had mine soaking in a brine for about 6 days now. Looks like I will use an injector on it as many of you guys have mentioned. I let it got to around 190 and I guess Ill try wrapping it after. Thanks for the suggestions. Ill let you know how it turns out and a couple pictures.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky