Deep Dish Meatball Parmesan Pizza (Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
I've been toying with this concept for a week or two now and finally decided to pull the trigger after reading the lasagna thread that was posted by Ryan ( Brokenhandle Brokenhandle ). Don't ask what lasagna had to do with being the driving force behind me deciding to go ahead and do this because I honestly don't know. Maybe it was just the thought of something Italian themed on a cold, yuck, nasty, snowy night. Heck, I don't even know if you can call it a pizza. The only reason I am is because it was made with pizza dough.

Here is the dough I used
004.jpg

About 10 minutes after I got the dough going in the bread machine the power went out so I kneaded it by hand. Here it is in the bowl starting to proof. Can't see much though
001.jpg

Starting the meatballs. A pound of homemade spicy Italian sausage, bread crumbs, black pepper, kosher salt, crushed red pepper, some Italian seasoning, and an egg
002.jpg

Meatballs made and into the skillet. These were cooked in the dark. Power came back on just as I was finishing them up. Thank God for a propane cook top!!
003.jpg

Done and ready to start building this crazy thing
005.jpg

Dough after the final proof
006.jpg

I rolled the dough into a "log" and cut into 4 somewhat equal sized pieces. Roll it out and line the CI skillets
009.jpg

Add meatballs. I cooked 16 of them but somebody who won't be named walked through the kitchen and stole one. That person only has 7 on hers but I have 8.
010.jpg

Add marinara and a good bunch of fresh grated Parmesan cheese
011.jpg

Roll out the dough for the tops, pinch the edges to seal them, and more Parmesan cheese
012.jpg

It was miserable outside so I did these in the oven at 375. Please don't tell anybody I used the oven :emoji_wink: Took about 25 minutes and thankfully the power came back on and stayed on long enough to get these done
013.jpg

Out of the skillets
014.jpg

Sliced and served with a side of marinara
018.jpg

Close up
017.jpg

I just love a good meatball sub and these hit the spot in a big way. They were really good!! I've done similar concepts in the past where I'd put sauce inside, cooked on the pizza stone, and the bottoms were mushy because of the sauce. That didn't happen with the CI though, which was what I'd hoped for and was happy about at the end. The bottom crust was soft but lightly crunchy and as good as I've ever had with any pizza. Maybe it was because I rolled the dough super thin that it didn't absorb the sauce as much. Who knows?? My take away with these was the meat to bread ratio. One of these would have plenty for both of us and what I should have done is put all the meatballs into one instead of spreading them out into two like I did. All in all however, a successful experiment and one that will get done again. As always, thanks for dropping in, stay safe, and we will see y'all soon. I still need to post my Valentine's dinner for Tracy but that'll get done soon.

Robert

looks good from here Robert . glad to see ya got your power back, hopefully everyone down there will get it back soon.

What's not to like about that Robert? Kind of a crossover meatball pizza pocket sanny, I'd be all over it, Like! RAY

It sure looks delicious! No matter what you call it or which way you slice it! Pass me a plate please! Oh, and give Jake, TNJAKE TNJAKE the corner piece! :emoji_blush:

Ryan

• Sad
Reactions: TNJAKE and JLeonard
Man that looks good. Ive been thinking of doing a deep dish pizza in my CI. This may just be the push I need.
jim

Looks delicious Robert. Was the top crispy? Everything sounds like it was excellent. Nice work.

looks good from here Robert . glad to see ya got your power back, hopefully everyone down there will get it back soon.

Thanks so much Jim. When the power came back on during the prep for this meal, it's stayed on ever since....thank God.

What's not to like about that Robert? Kind of a crossover meatball pizza pocket sanny, I'd be all over it, Like!

Very much appreciate it Ray. Kind of a fusion of several different concepts. It came out well though and we enjoyed it.

So kind of your take on a calzone. That looks delicious. You have definitely found a real winner there Robert. Big thumbs up!

Well sort of a calzone, and sort of a few other things. Was a fun project though. Thank you for the kind words.

Robert

Pass me a plate please! Oh, and give Jake, TNJAKE TNJAKE TNJAKE TNJAKE the corner piece!

But Ryan, don't we always save the corner piece of a round pizza for Jake? :emoji_wink: Hilarious that you remembered that. Jake's legacy I suppose, and thank you for the accolades.

Man that looks good. Ive been thinking of doing a deep dish pizza in my CI.

Go for it Jim!! I used a pizza stone for the longest time then a year or so ago I got a 14" CI pizza pan. there is no comparison. Pizzas or anything similar will always be cooked in CI from now on.

Looks delicious Robert. Was the top crispy? Everything sounds like it was excellent. Nice work.

Thank you Mike. Yes, the top was slightly crispy, just enough that it wasn't doughy or gooey. The Parmesan on top crisped up a little also which was not necessarily intended but really was a nice touch.

Robert

fckya.gif

Damn Robert that looks tasty. I wasn't even hungry until I saw this and now my stomach is rumbling. This is being saved and added to the to do list. Nice job my friend!

Yessir looks fantastic as usual Robert! Water, electricity and that in your belly you gotta be feeling good

That looks pretty delicious Robert! It reminds me of a toasted meatball hoagie. Yours looks much nicer to eat, rather than having a meatball roll off the bun and down your entire shirt.

A side of marinara sauce is just perfect for it. The wife wants me to make more meatballs for freezing after making them for soup the past week. A recipe like this would be perfect to use up a couple.

I’m half-Polish so they’re ALL corner pieces to me! Better just give me the whole pan.

Robert consider this post stolen.

I am honored Richie but one can't steal what's freely given :emoji_wink: That's what this forum is all about, but you know that.

Damn Robert that looks tasty. I wasn't even hungry until I saw this and now my stomach is rumbling

Thank you my friend. You ought to give this one a go. It was really tasty.

Lookin good . Just got done mixing up some dough . Might try this .

I highly recommend this one Chop. It was a ton of fun putting it all together, and even more fun eating it :emoji_astonished:

Water, electricity and that in your belly you gotta be feeling good

Well said, and you're not kidding!! Oh the things we take for granted at times. Regardless, I'd have made this with or without water and electricity. May have had to go out in freezing temps and cook it on the grill but I was gonna get it done.

Robert

Reactions: jcam222
This must be a conspiracy. You purposely made it round so you and Ryan could hog it all knowing that I'm a corner guy.

Yep Jake, we conspired behind the scenes to do this in order to exclude you...NOT :emoji_wink: Tell ya what, next time I'll just cut a square out of the center and let you have that. Not exactly a corner piece but at least it's not round and you won't think we are plotting against you :emoji_laughing:

A cross between a deep dish pizza and a calzone...I'd definitely eat a slices or three....

Thanks so much Keith. With all the sausage you have, I bet you could turn the world upside down with one of these.

I’m half-Polish so they’re ALL corner pieces to me! Better just give me the whole pan.

Hmmmm...if you' only HALF Polish wouldn't only HALF of the round pizza be square?

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky