Dealing with the Pink Color in smoking and BBQ'ing

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
One thing you can do is cook a single chicken leg or rib bone in a pan untill it is well done, the let them try to pull the meat off of the bone with a fork - won't happen. Then hand them a smoked rib bone or chicken leg and point out that one the ring is in the outer layer of meat which is the layer that cooks first, and two it is so well cooked all the way to the bone that you can just slide the meat right off of the bone with a fork.

If they still don't believe you hand them a block of tofu, pat them on the back, and say... "it's OK... more for me"
icon_twisted.gif

I say stick them at the kiddy table with hot dogs and ketchup until there taste buds develop.
icon_cool.gif
 Don't forget the koolaid and tater tots!

Last edited:
Sorry , But i have enough experiance in this game to know when something is done. If you don't want to eat it ,That;s your problem.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>custome built vertical smoker, (previous life was a traffic light control box-6ft tall) coverted to a 8 rack, dual door Smokin Machine.

Please post a few pictures of this smoker.

Craig

+ 2 !

Gotta be way cool!

Bear

OOOPS, Didn't see Cavey's post----------Make that +3.

Last edited:
Bigc,my most honest opinion is to not invite that guest again.LMAO
icon_twisted.gif
I'm with osbbq on this, They complain about my food the first time, they don't get invited back even if all I'm doing is grilling burgers and brats.

Tell em to stop and think!  Pink smoke ring on outer edge!  Meat does not cook from the inside out!  LMAO   Well maybe in a microwave.  LOLOLOL

It is a chemical reaction....this is taken from about.com and it is how it was explained to me.

A smoke ring is a pink discoloration of meat just under the surface crust (called bark). It can be just a thin line of pink or a rather thick layer. A good smoke ring is around 1/4 inch in thickness. The smoke rings is caused by nitric acid building up in the surface of meat, absorbed from the surface. This nitric acid is formed when nitrogen dioxide from wood combustion in smoke mixes with water in the meat. Basically it is a chemical reaction between the smoke and the meat.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky