curious about curing chamber build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mosparky

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 11, 2015
St. Louis area, Missouri
I am curious about all these chamber builds. How do you know where NOT to drill holes in your fridge/mini fridge ? I'd hate to start punching holes only to hear the tell tale hiss of a refridgerant leak.

LMAO that's a good one MOSP.
Well the only thing that I can think of is,
#1. look at your models age, I think older model like mine from the 60's everything was run up the back.
After you got to start thinking about all the new stuff they added and where.
Like is the electrical stuff in the door which models in the years 1990 started doing.
#2. Just look and think!
Look at all the model has as far as extras, and think like the designers. Yes that's a lucky guess at best. But that's all we have to go on, unless you can get a print of the electrical design.
This is such a tuff subject, and there is no concrete answer. You just have to basically sit down and look and/or stare at the frig and thing and try and put together all the extras and where they might have run wiring.
Example; door extras, well then must be electrical in the door.
If fan is in the back and lighting is in the back, you know electric is back there.
But if you have one, maybe two sides walls with nothing on them (which is the case in most) then you probably can drill in the sides.
Personally, I feel safe going through the walls at least below mid point.
It a tuff one, and if you lived next door, I would totally love to help. But this is all I can, and you can continue to ask me more on this subject, I don't mind and want to help you.
Sorry so long, but don't worry, it's not that hard. Stay in touch please, we can do this!

I am a long way from truly having a clue how to use one or a need to. I can however see where I might eventually. If and when that happens I will most likely use a mini fridge. Maybe one of those glass door fridges they have at grocery check outs for cold soft drinks. I have seen more than one dumped behind the store when a vendor refused to reclaim it after a re-model or store re-set.

The best way to determine where the cooling coils are... Are they in the shelves ?? up the back wall ??
If they aren't visible they could be in the duct work... and you will find air outlets where the cold air blows...
The last place is in the side walls and there should be a heat exchanger coil up the back to dump the heat... Some have the heat exchanger in the exterior walls...
Put your warm fridge on as cold as it will go... feel or use a non-contact therm to find the warm spots where the heat will be dumped... The warm spots should be 20-30 degrees warmer than the non-heat dumping coil areas... You can also use the non-contact therm to scan the interior for cold spots where the cold coils run...
The best way to find the cold coils is.....
If you have an electric pot to boil water in, put it inside the fridge... you want it generating steam... You only need about a cup of water in it... The steam will condense wherever the cold coils are.. mark their layout with something that won't go away.. it will have to write through water... grease pencil would work... the steam may even condense to ice crystals.... either way, there will be a definite line of moisture build up... you may have to keep the door open a bit or often so the compressor keeps running making cold...
Keep an eye on stuff... sometimes you will have only 5-10 minutes for this stuff to show up... make sure you find ALL the cold coils inside and ALL the warm coils on the outside.. If you miss one (1)... I guarantee you will drill through it...

You can let the fridge warm overnight and do it again, just for insurance, if you think you need it......

If I ever get around to it. As I said, I'm a long way from needing one. I'm still trying to get a decent start on Cure 1 products. I am however trying to think of additional uses for one. Perhaps a controlled environment for kraut.
Perhaps someone else will beat me to it. Definitely a worth while endeavor.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky