Curing time, Tender Quick

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bill ace 350

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Dec 28, 2013
I use Tenderquick in many of my Summer sausage recipes.

in the past I have let the meat cure 48 - 72 hours.

Is it safe to stuff and start smoking immediately with Tender Quick?

Thanks

Some say it is, but I always waited until the next day.
However that is mainly because I want to get an early start "Smoking" in the morning, without doing much work early in the morning.
I like to get the work done one day, then relax while I'm smoking the next day.

Bear

I generally let my meat mixture sit overnight so the flavors blend and I can fry a second pattie to confirm the flavor. Then I typically stuff and smoke the following day.

Reactions: bill ace 350
Some say it is, but I always waited until the next day.
However that is mainly because I want to get an early start "Smoking" in the morning, without doing much work early in the morning.
I like to get the work done one day, then relax while I'm smoking the next day.

Bear
Thanks! Overnight it is!

Best to keep a detailed record of everything you do to compare the end result. I have read lot's of views on this about this subject. Seems most let it cure for 2 to 3 days and then smoke it. If it's mixed real good the first go around it's easier to stuff it and set the casings in the fridge to cure . It supposedly improves the flavor but a record of what you do will tell the story better. If you mix it every day for the 2 to 3 days it get's tackier and less pliable so it is harder to stuff. You may want to add a little water at the last mixing before you stuff so it flows through the stuffer easier.
PJ

Reactions: bill ace 350
Thanks everyone. Reason for the question was safety. Would it be safe to smoke immediately, like some recipes with cure #1 call for.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky