Curing salt change colour

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Lord Montgomery von Agoho

Original poster
Oct 19, 2020
Hi all,
I have some cure #1 that I’ve kept out of direct sunlight, still sealed that has turned white. Anyone knows why this is happening, and if it is still useable?
Also is the “best before” a real thing?

Attachments

• 6416B76D-1D36-4292-B87F-A71D6A3A8FBA.jpeg
    6416B76D-1D36-4292-B87F-A71D6A3A8FBA.jpeg
    89.3 KB · Views: 5
It’s still fine. As Inda said it’s just the coloring additIves that are fading not the salt or nitrite.

I had an order from the sausage maker a while back which contained 2 five pound jars of cure #1. When I received the package, it had been apparently run over at some point in shipping. They squared the box back up and re-taped it. The tape was full of cure #1. upon opening the box, one of the 5# jars of cure was busted and cure salt was free just laying in the bottom of the box ( 4# of the jar estimate) so I scooped up the cure and put it in a empty jar. I lost about a pound over all but I saved the rest. It turned very pale pink almost white. still using it and makes my meat just as pink as the newer stuff. Don’t throw it out. It’s fine chemically.

Some curing salts have no dye at all. Morton’s TenderQuick is white and the Peklosol in Europe is white like table salt. Different mixtures than cure #1 but still contain nitrite and no dye required.

Reactions: indaswamp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky