Curing problems

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

old golfer guy

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 21, 2017
Doing my first pork cure. A 8.5 lb shank. Brine is I gal. water 3/4 cup pickling salt, 11/3 cup brown sugar and 6 tea Cure #1. Was going to inject 38 oz. of brine but my cheap injector broke and only got 24 oz. in. Can the rest be injected later? or am I OK as is. Plan on leaving in refer for 7 days.
Thanks
Dale

Double check me but I believe cure like this travels [REMOVED - Dave came in with the info] a day or so. If you injected and are soaking then you may be able to get a good idea as to when the inside cure and the outside cure will travel far enough to cover the whole cut of meat. Again double check this info, but if accurate then you can figure if 7 days is enough or how many more days you will need :)

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky