Curing Jerky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

slevin

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
Hey guys and gals,

I need some advise. I just got a new mes 30 and I'm doing beef jerky as my first smoke.When I did up my marinade I didn't make enough to cover all the meat. My question is, will it still cure fine if I shake/stir it every few hours?

Thanks for your replies!

Yep, shake it, roll it around, flit it over, flip it under....

Did you add cure #1 to the mix...  1 tsp. per 5 #'s of meat and mix....    If not, bring the meat temp up to 165 FIRST, while it is still wet... then you can lower the smoker temp to dry the meat...

Bacteria in meats that have been dried and not "cooked" first, can enter a "suspended animation" type sleep...   Then when conditions become good for them to multiply again, they can and will multiply..    soooooo, kill them first, then you are good to go....

Yes I did indeed use cure #1. I only did 2.5lbs so I used 1/2 tsp. Thanks for the reply Dave. I hope to post my experience in detail later seeing as most of you guys here helped me. I've been lurking for a while...

S, You are fine as Dave said by flipping ,stirring etc. You can always add more water which will dilute your marinade so just leave it in an extra day or so.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky