Curing Chamber

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Not sure what the inside of your fridge looks like, but there's gotta be a way to rig up some method of hanging. Necessity being the mother of invention and all that. My fridge is slightly bigger than the average beer/dorm fridge at 6.2 cubic feet, but FWIW I've decided to find a larger chamber. I just bought another used wine fridge to use a fermenting / first stage drying chamber so I'll be keeping the bigger one once I find a suitable upright fridge or freezer.

As to the rest, I've been reading until my eyes bleed. My suggestion is educating yourself to the greatest extent possible before jumping in with both feet. I'm in the very beginning of my journey down this road. There is a ton of great content and helpful folks here, and the gold standards are the Marianski books "Home Production Of Quality Meats And Sausage" and "The Art of Making Fermented Sausage" the latter being a bit shorter but it hits the important stuff in great detail that is not hard to understand. I've read it almost three times now and keep it handy at all times. Also, I've used 2 guys and a coolers youtube channel extensively.

The two above books mentioned if you buy them from Amazon you get the hard copy and you can also download the electronic copys and use the Kindle App for PC's to view them.
Screenshot 2023-07-05 125110.png

The two above books mentioned if you buy them from Amazon you get the hard copy and you can also download the electronic copys and use the Kindle App for PC's to view them. View attachment 669755

I bought both paperback copies from Amazon, and have Kindle for PC but I'll be damned if I can figure out how to download them.

I've been trying, but I can't seem to make this happen. I think I know why, so hopefully Amazon can help... I cancelled my prime membership because they ticked me off a while ago, and now I'm back.

Yes!
For chit & giggles I googled to see if you can still do that but seems Amazon has dropped that option and not all books were able to be downloaded. Some had a $2.98 fee to get the electronic version also.

Reactions: indaswamp
For chit & giggles I googled to see if you can still do that but seems Amazon has dropped that option and not all books were able to be downloaded. Some had a $2.98 fee to get the electronic version also.
Well that explains that. No wonder I've been spinning my wheels :emoji_laughing:
:emoji_laughing:

So I've been thinking, which in itself is dangerous. I've been looking around for a bigger fridge / freezer to convert but can't seem to find what I'm looking for at a reasonable price, so I figured to maybe make this work a little better until I eventually stumble across what I want. I'm pretty happy with the stuff that has come out of the chamber, but can't leave well enough alone. I have one piece in there and its probably coming out tonight or tomorrow and I have three items in the fridge curing that will be ready to go in two weeks, so I have a little time to mess with it.

I have this idea in my head about putting a baffle of some sort in front of the chiller plate. Does anyone think / know if this would be beneficial in reducing the exposure of the hanging stuff to the plate when the compressor is running? I'm having a hard time trying to write / express what I'm thinking....... but what I'm driving at is does the instant condensation that forms on the plate once the compressor kicks on have an effect on the edge of a piece of salami / salumi etc on a line of sight basis? if so I would think that a physical barrier between the meat and plate would change the game a bit for the better. The top rack is positioned so that I could easily cut up a few of these cheap place mat style cutting boards and attach them to be an inch or more from the plate all the way around.

Thoughts, suggestions??

Here are a few pics for reference so you don't have to go backwards in the thread.

Thanks in advance

exposure of the hanging stuff to the plate when the compressor is running?
Exposure to what? Moisture condensation? Or airflow?

Looking at your pictures, I would be more concerned with warm airflow rising up from the dehumidifier on any piece hanging within 3-4" in front of the unit. Is there any way to move that dehumidifier back and up on that shelf where the floor steps up?

Like I said.. hard time expressing my thought. Exposure to the direct cold of the plate is the best I can explain it. When the chiller plates kicks on the air around it instantly condenses, as I'm sure you know. Would a piece hanging even remotely close to the plate have moisture removed at an undesirable rate by being exposed to the plate?

And those pics are for reference of the chiller plate. The Eva Dry is up on that shelf in the right rear corner.

Reactions: indaswamp
The cold would slow down the diffusion rate of moisture from the center of the piece slightly. As long as there is no airflow from a fan blowing directly on the chiller plate, then evaporation will be nill with the high humidity in the chamber, It should all drip down and go out the drain. Now the drier air rising from the Eva Dry may evaporate some of the moisture off the chiller plate. I would also check to make sure no water is dripping on the Eva-dry from the chiller plate...
Such are the problems with hacking small refrigerators to use as curing chambers.....but it can be done.....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky