Cured smoked ham.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

freqseeker

Original poster
Mar 8, 2009
Puget Sound WA.
I have searched the forums and still have questions about the bone in ham I am going to cook for Christmas.

It was purchased from Safeway. The label says "ready to cook". Hickory smoked water added. Cured with water, salt dextrose etc..

From what I have read here this is precooked correct?

It is just under 22#. What is the internal temp I should shoot for? I'm using a GOSM at 225-250°. Is this roughly a 45 minute per pound cook? The label says to cook at 325° for 17-20 minutes per pound to internal temp of 160°.

If I'm correct I'm looking at roughly 16 hours.

Thanks and sorry for the redundant questions.

Vince.

What you described is a cured, smoked  uncooked ham, not a precooked one.

I can't help you on the cook time... 16 hours sounds long but if you plan on 16 hours and it's done early you can wrap it and toss it in a cooler to stay warm for a long time

Last edited:
If it was allready cooked it would say pre cooked or ready to eat.

You do need to cook it to 160° internal temp . Never have smoked a uncooked ham so i can't really help on the time / lb.

This is a cured UNcooked product.

Needs to be cooked... they are taking it to 160F because of Trichinosis risks.  Curing does not kill Trichinosis.

Time depends on a lot of things, but at 22 pounds I would figure at least 12 hours at 275 F.

Thanks for clearing that up.

I will smoke it around 275° starting the night before and cooler it if it gets done sooner.

Gives me an excuse to look for Santa!

Vince.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky