Cure1 and Cure2 advise needed.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ahakohda

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
St. Petersburg, FL
I decided to make another small batch of dry cured products. It will require chamber hanging time from 4 weeks for one product, to 6 months for another.
Mistake I made is I used cure1 instead of cure2.

My question is: What should I do? Scrap the project and to use cured meat for something else or go ahead with dry curing? Its about 2lb of meat per project.

I read everything about both cures purposes, so I am looking for hands on experience rather than cure info..

Here is what I added so far. Meat is in second day of curing. Can I add certain ammount of cure2 right now to save the project?
DiggingDogFarm.png

Also, is there a link to a trusted cure2 calculator? I use THIS CALCULATOR for cure1 with great success.

Thank you in advance to all!

Last edited:
Cure #1 and #2 are added at the same rate...
Because cure #1 dissipates over time, cure #2 can be added now... or wait for the 30 days to expire then add it... While waiting for bacteria to activate the nitrate. the nitrite will protect the meat...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky