Cure time required?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

oldvirginiajoe

Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
Smithfield, Va.
Does anyone here know how long it takes for the cure to be in contact with the ground sausage meat, before the meat can be considered "cured?" In other words, after I add the cure to the meat block, how long must I wait before I can let the product hold in the temperature "danger zone?" Any scientific knowledge of the answer to this question? I assume there has been a study of this issue somewhere. Thanks.

(I accidentally put this question originally on the introductions forum--please forgive me!)

It takes 4 hours for cure #1 to fully cure ground meat. That being said you can mix everything stuff and start smoking because you will beat the 40 to 140 in 4 hours.

Is the same thing true under this scenario:

If I use pink salt (which number cure is that?) and the product goes in the danger zone within two hours, and stays there, OR if I immediately do a cool (about 90 degree) smoke, am I still OK?

When meat is between 40º and 140° for more 4 hours you are at risk. It takes 4 hours in that temp range for Clostridium Botulism to grow and start putting out toxins. The time in the danger zone accumulates so if it is in the danger zone for 3 hours then cooled and then in the danger zone for another 2 hours you are still at risk. After 4 hours in the danger zone it takes extremely high heat to kill botulism toxins.

If you reach 140 degrees within 4 hours it will not have time to put out the toxins that will make you sick. I have not used cure #2 but I know that cure#1 has the red dye in it.

You could PM Chef Jimmy if you have an questions. This info is what I have learned from reading on this site and have not been through any training.

Is the same thing true under this scenario:

If I use pink salt (which number cure is that?) and the product goes in the danger zone within two hours, and stays there, OR if I immediately do a cool (about 90 degree) smoke, am I still OK?
Pink salt comes in cure #1..... cure #2 is usually white, but I can't be positive about that......

If you have a properly refrigerated hunk of meat, and you properly apply cure #1, salt etc., and refrigerate for the accepted length of time for the cure to fully penetrate the meat and come to equilibrium throughout the hunk........   You can hang it in a smoker at 50 to 70 degrees for 10 - 15 days no problem.....   I have cold smoked bacon at 65 degrees for 12 days applying smoke every other day.....   That is why the cure and salt is applied...  The 40-140 rule does not apply when properly cured meat is put in the smoker....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky