Cure #2 after two weeks?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

LoydB

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 31, 2022
I put a small (207g) Teres Major into my chamber to cure 14 days ago. No smoke/cooking, so I used cure #2. It is now at 33% moisture loss, and feels very firm. Is it a hard rule that you don't want to eat anything with #2 in it earlier than 4 weeks? I'll let it hang longer if so, and if it's over-dry, oh well, lesson learned. Thanks!

2022-08-20 10.53.57 copy.jpg

Reactions: dernektambura
Thanks! I am reassured.

I never heard that rule, I thought you just went by weight loss. But I have to say my knowledge in dry curing is limited.
Al

That's a fantastic cut of beef . I cook a lot of them , and did one into pastrami .
Be watching for a sliced shot .

I put a small (207g) Teres Major into my chamber to cure 14 days ago. No smoke/cooking, so I used cure #2. It is now at 33% moisture loss, and feels very firm. Is it a hard rule that you don't want to eat anything with #2 in it earlier than 4 weeks? I'll let it hang longer if so, and if it's over-dry, oh well, lesson learned. Thanks!

View attachment 642666
The problem with a short cure time and cure #2 is the nitrate in cure #2 (anywhere from 1 to 6.4%) does not cure meat directly, rather it requires the interaction with bacteria, staphylococcus, to then be broken down into nitrite. This requires the bacteria to be present in sufficient quantities and temperature above 45F. This takes more time than 30 days to develop the necessary bacteria count and reaction with nitrate to convert to nitrite. Only the interaction with bacteria can reduce nitrate.

So what ever percentage of nitrate was in your cure is still in the meat as No3. Not optimal for sure, but you likely would intake more nitrate from a spinach salad than a couple pieces of meat.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky