cube steak?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I put the meat in a bag with a Reduced Salt seasoning blend I'm playing with, and 2 cups of Buttermilk. I had planned on an overnight soak but stuff came up and the meat marinated 2 nights. So it's now day three.
Chef JJ, my chicken fried steak nemesis has been conquered with your extended marinade! I did things a little different than the YouTube guy.

2 1/2 days in buttermilk only sealed airtight in a Ziplock. Dip in seasoned flour with a little cornstarch, then an egg/buttermilk wash, followed by another flour/cornstarch dip.

Rested for about 15-20 minutes while I made the cream gravy. Fired up the 30K BTU Camp Chef single burner outside. Heated canola oil supplemented with a little bacon fat to 350F in a 15" paella pan.
Fried the 4 big steaks to golden brown and crispy. Delicious and tender!

The buttermilk not only tenderized the meat to a melt-in-the-mouth level, but it also drew out the myoglobin that has oozed out of the meat and darkly discolored my CFSs in the past. These turned out golden and delicious.

I know. No pics it didn't happen, but it was the first time I used the burner for a frying heat and I have to adjust my technique to get a more even browning. Or break out my 12" cast iron skillet that has been gathering dust.

My Texan wife says I've finally earned my CFS card. Here's her half steak smothered in the last of the cream gravy. She's eating it as I type.

More cubed steaks in the freezer. Round two will happen soon!

20210214_145132.jpg

That's great to hear my friend. I too struggled, until this last batch. Im keeping my eye out for another Top Round sale to stock up....JJ

Reactions: noboundaries
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky