crust on prime rib

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ghheath

Original poster
Apr 8, 2020
I'm doing a prime rib and want to put a horseradish crust on it. Should I put the horseradish on and sear or start on high on the smoker for a while before turning the temp down?

Thanks in advance and happy new year.

I've only done this once a while back, but I would put the horseradish on then smoke at 250 until done (120 - 130). Optionally, you could crank the heat to 500 once the IT gets to about 115, but be careful not to overcook.

Speaking from experience, the horseradish seems to get very bitter when smoked/cooked with high heat for a sear. I’d just make a sour cream mixture for after it’s finished.

I just made a prime rib for Christmas day and it came out very good, with a crisp, flavorful crust. I mostly followed Meathead's recipe. I smoked the roast in my Smokin-it until the internal temperature reached 115, then I "reverse seared" it in a cast iron pan on the stove in the house, (and filled the house with smoke!), then finally returned it to the smoker until the internal temperature reached 135.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky