Crockpot Pintos

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

griz400

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Mar 27, 2016
Starting with some smoked sausage and a hambone I have in the freezer ... tried to start this thread and seems it doesn't work like it used to .. it would save as a draft ... so , anyways ,, I have to work tomorrow, and will be making some pintos with some smoked sausage and a nice big hambone i have in freezer and just took out tonight ... so, will be cooking in crockpot, and adding peppers, onions, celery,Rotel, can of seasoned tomatoes, fresh garlic, also some mini peppers, whole or halved , and wife making some fresh yeast rolls ...
This is where I missed old forum .. seems you cant save as a draft .. anyways, this is Friday night ,,, and won't start em till Sunday am. Also Sunday ,, making some quesadillas and tacos ... look for this ... will have some black beans and yellow rice as well ......just have not decided to smoke or grill chicken for this ......

Oh yes, I love doing this. Pintos are the favorite beans around this house. I do the same thing with the ham bone in the freezer. The smoke comes from something I've smoked or sometimes something store-bought. Sometimes the local groceries stock something like smoked pig ears or turkey tails, or belly skin.

I only make bean soup. I never really use pinto beans. Navy beans I buy. I add a couple smoked shank pieces instead of the hocks. Shank has 3x the meat . I put onion, celery and carrot in the soup. Some a garlic andsome bay leaf. Chicken stock and water. Sometimes a small can of diced tomato, extra ham.

Got a 2 lb. bag of pintos soaking right now till in the am.. also picked up a pack of 3 smoked hocks, along withe big ham bone and the smoked sausage .. should have a nice taste ... This smoked sausage I am using , " Uncle John's Pride" is made right here in Brandon Fla about a mile from where I work ...
Ingredients ............
2 lb bag of pintos .. soaked overnight .. after soaking, you may have just a little too much for the crockpot .. you could use just 1 1/2 lbs.
1 large vidalia onion
1 large bell pepper
hand full of small peppers - sweet
chopped up 1 whole stalk of celery
1 can Rotel
1 Can chicken broth
2 cans seasoned tomatoes
1 humping tablespoon of minced garlic
1 humping tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon paprika
1 ham bone w/meat on it .. had froze in deep freeze .. I deboned to make space in pot
3 smoked hocks
1 pack of smoked sausage
also roughly salt and pepper to taste
add just enough water or more broth to bring it top of pot
sometime early morning I will chop it all up and get it started ...
this whole batch will take at least 5 hrs on high, then kick it down on low till it's all nice ..

Last edited:
Reactions: Rings Я Us
It is 8 am. now, just got it all prepped, and in the crockpot ... this a full pot, barely got lid on it ... with all the ingredients in it, deboned the ham bone as well, added 12 oz. of water to cover everything, put it all in in layers, leaving the ham and the hocks right in the bottom .. I suppose this will be pretty long before it's all done ...
IMG_0790.JPG

This 2 lb bag swelled up alot overnight ...
IMG_0792.JPG

IMG_0791.JPG

ham and 3 nice smoked hocks
IMG_0793.JPG

full pot ...
IMG_0794.JPG

got the lid on .....wont even try to stir it for about 4 hrs ... lol

Thats gonna be good . I have the bone and trimmings from a shank ham I double smoked . waiting for a bit cooler temps . Be checkin this later . Corn bread on the menu ?

Well ... Think these will be good .. you know when you make something .. you smell it in the kitchen ... then when you smell it throughout the house, you got something going on ... not done yet .. 5 hrs in now, but, put on at 8, didn't see bubbling till 9 .. game time right now ..

It looks like that's going to be very full of flavor. Good stuff in there.
I did navy beans in a crock pot before. Those things took forever to get tender. I think I will pre cook them in the future, then put them in half done with the other stuff.

We do beans alot .. no hurry for them to be done .. going to eat some this afternoon sometime .. but, making some grilled chicken quesadillas for dinner this evening ...

Thanks Chile ... looks like it will be a good batch of beans .. wife is making up some yeast rolls as well .. making up some grilled chicken quesadillas for dinner .. i will be taking these to work .. couple guys I work with want to try em as well ...

Turned down to low now ... took a "sample bowl " and was just about nice .... maybe 2 more hrs on low ....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky