Crispy skin on TDay Smoked Turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DinnerIsComing

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 27, 2022
Cedar Creek, TX
The succinct question: How are you getting crispy skin on a turkey when you're smoking it?

I have a 15lbs. turkey. I will be doing a wet brine, then applying olive oil to the skin and adding my seasoning. I've had a mixed bag of results for crispy skin on my beer can chickens, but what seems best is to smoke it for 1.5 hrs (keeping the temp 250-275F range), then crank the temperature up to the 375-400F range for the remainder of the cook until I get to ~160F internal temp, then pull it for the rest period. This past weekend, I experimented using chicken, but following my turkey plan (minus the brine and laying it on the grates as the turkey will be) and it seemed like the skin wasn't as crispy as I had hoped.

I guess the bottom-line question is how are you guys achieving crispy skin on your TDay birds, or is that just a pipedream?

Thanks in advance!

My recommendations would be: After brininng dry off the skin as much as possible. then cook/smoke at a higher temp 325+*. If the skin is getting too dark loosely tent the bird with aluminum foil. For us poultry takes on smoke rather quickly so I go lite on the smoke.

Here's a pic of a turkey I did a few years ago on my WSM. It came out great.

1668527060047.png

After brininng dry off the skin as much as possible. then cook/smoke at a higher temp 325+*.
Yes, already planning to dry the skin as much as humanly possible... but my question is that I always thought to infuse smoke into any protein, you need to not exceed 300F -- is that wrong?

Cooking your method, how long was the turkey on the grill?

Yes, already planning to dry the skin as much as humanly possible... but my question is that I always thought to infuse smoke into any protein, you need to not exceed 300F -- is that wrong?

Cooking your method, how long was the turkey on the grill?
Not true when smoking poultry. From my experience, chicken and turkeys take on smoke quicker than other proteins, and it's very easy to over-smoke them. Too much smoke and you'll have a lot of unhappy campers come thanksgiving. Since your practicing take notice on what type of wood your using, how much of the wood your using, and the temps you're smoking the bird at. You should have a good idea of what you like by the time the big day comes. For me - I like to use apple wood. It doesn't give you a strong smoke flavor, but you'll know it's there when you smell and taste the turkey without the smoke flavor overpowering the meat. Two good sized chunks should do it. Smaller then a baseball, but larger then a golf ball. For an 12 to 15 pound bird your looking at roughly 3.5 to 5 hours. That's a whole bird not spatchcocked. I've never done the spatchcocked method but I'm assuming it would be done sooner.

Chris

gmc2003 gmc2003 ...ok, now I'm confused.

I just watched TulsaJeff TulsaJeff whole smoked turkey video and he recommended a temperature of 225-240F. I'm definitely not trying to instigate a fight here, but some guidance would be appreciated.

Just remember, there are different ways of skinning a cat. I'm not saying my way is the right way or the only way, but it works for me and my family and that's what really counts in the end.

Also I live in Vermont the BBQ capital of the world, and Jeff, he lives in Oklahoma. LOL

Chris

Run it in the smoker for a couple hours finish in the oven, problem solved.

Yes, I'm planning to put rub under the skin as well. Unfortunately, I can't count on there being enough refrigerator space to do the salted skin dry brine.

Using a smoker and getting crispy skin is a tough process. Do yourself a favor and go a bit old school to solve this problem. Use your gas grill, rotisserie and a smoker tube. Been doing this for years and it always works! ... see link in the signature below

Do not use butter on the skin, it contains water and cools the skin. Wipe it dry with paper towel and cook at higher temperature, 260-325F. I use olive oil or vegetable oil. I'm doing some bone in breasts right now. I'll post a picture when they're done.

RG

16687108000742762965902010971958.jpg

Here's my bird off the Smokefire EX6. Just dried off the skin and salted it down with table salt. Smoked @ 235f for around 6 hours. Crispy skin and moiste

Attachments

• 2022-11-16 20.55.08.jpg
    2022-11-16 20.55.08.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 25
Bone in breast, done at 275F or so. Done be afraid to wipe the outside down with a paper towel if you see moisture. I inject these breasts so they leak a little. Going to be tasty tonight. Making these for our Bible Study group, Friendsgiving.

RG

20221117_153945.jpg

Reactions: 912smoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky