Crispy Chicken Skin

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

texas smokin

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Aug 16, 2022
Dallas-Fort Worth
Really trying to find a way to end up with crispier chicken skin, whether on whole chickens, or breasts. I've tried cooking the chicken at 275 and then bumping it up to 325 for the last 30 minutes or so, and that outcome was a little better, but still rubbery. I've tried using oil first before applying rubs, I've tried drying it out really, really well before applying rubs (paper towels, sitting in fridge for an hour). I need some crispy skin!! Help!!!

Reactions: JLeonard
What type of grill or smoker are you using?

Chris

Cook indirect at 425 and be amazed.

You could also try Chef Judy Rodgers' famous roasted chicken recipe who popularized the modern dry brine technique

Good luck

Last edited:
I hand dry extremely well, dust with baking powder and leave in frig overnight uncovered. Apply rub and I smoke at 275F and finish at 350-400. If it’s not crispy it’s at least always bite through and tasty.

I hand dry extremely well, dust with baking powder and leave in frig overnight uncovered. Apply rub and I smoke at 275F and finish at 350-400. If it’s not crispy it’s at least always bite through and tasty.
Okay, I'll add in the baking powder and overnight sit.

Really trying to find a way to end up with crispier chicken skin, whether on whole chickens, or breasts. I've tried cooking the chicken at 275 and then bumping it up to 325 for the last 30 minutes or so, and that outcome was a little better, but still rubbery. I've tried using oil first before applying rubs, I've tried drying it out really, really well before applying rubs (paper towels, sitting in fridge for an hour). I need some crispy skin!! Help!!!
Hi there and welcome!

I see you have been introduced to the issue of smoking poultry skin lol.

The guys have good recommendations for sure.

For me, I just smoke at 325F the whole time and I always have edible skin and often crispy skin. Another thing that really helps me is to have the chicken sit on a vertical rack. The rising air and smoke hits so much more of the skin and the skin renders so much better than if it is laying down.

I hope this info helps as you continue to experiment :)

Hi there and welcome!

I see you have been introduced to the issue of smoking poultry skin lol.

The guys have good recommendations for sure.

For me, I just smoke at 325F the whole time and I always have edible skin and often crispy skin. Another thing that really helps me is to have the chicken sit on a vertical rack. The rising air and smoke hits so much more of the skin and the skin renders so much better than if it is laying down.

I hope this info helps as you continue to experiment :)
Thank you so much!!

Yep, baking powder.
I've been using it on poultry skin for almost a decade.
In the oven, smoker or grill it works.
Browner, more evenly crisped and a better crispiness.

But I still say to turn the temp up in the smoker, you simply have to get 375° or higher with indirect heat to render the fat and crisp the skin.
Otherwise the best you'll get is a decent bite through, which does of course beat rubber.

Having gone through the various ways to get good crisp skin via the smoker I came to the conclusion the effort to get there was more than it should be. The solution had always been right in front of me. Put the bird on the grill and use a smoker tube, voila!

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
You've got some good advice above. I'm in the high indirect heat club for the whole cook.
Same here. I cook indirect at 350-400°. For whole chickens, I like to buttermilk brine overnight. Wipe dry before putting on the grill. For thighs, I mix my rub with flour to help with crisping.

1678200746523.jpeg

1678200881214.jpeg

For parts where you can get you fingers in between skin and meat, go for it. The breast is pretty easy to do and will allow some seasoning on the meat, not just skin.

Having gone through the various ways to get good crisp skin via the smoker I came to the conclusion the effort to get there was more than it should be. The solution had always been right in front of me. Put the bird on the grill and use a smoker tube, voila!
So a smoke tube will help with the crispiness of the skin, as well as adding more smoke? I did not know that. Thanks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky