Cream of tomato soup and grilled cheese

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Ultimate comfort food tonight. A homemade rich creamy tomato soup drizzled with crema and a touch of fresh basil ,a melty messy double decker grilled cheddar and Muenster cheese and bacon sandwich, roasted sweet peppers. Won’t hit the cover of Bon Appetit but could get the Fieri Flavortown rating lol. I made the soup to not only eat as is but also for use in halupki which I’ll post later this week. The tomato soup is simple yet very rich and delicious. I’ve worked on it over a few batches to get it where I want it. Ingredients:
2 28oz cans crushed tomatoes
2 28 oz. cans tomato puree
12 cups of chicken broth from Minors or GFS concentrate paste made at 150% strength
1 cup heavy cream
6 oz. tomato paste
8 T butter
6 cloves minced garlic
2 small onions diced
2 T olive oil
2-4 t of salt (to taste)
1t black pepper
1 ½ packets of Sazon Goya
2T white vinegar
2T Swerve (or sugar)
Instructions:
Sauté onion in the 2T of olive oil, once translucent add the garlic and sauté for another minute
Mix in the tomato paste to coat the onions and garlic
Add all other ingredients with the exception of the vinegar and sweetener
Simmer for 20-30 minute
Immersion blend to nice creamy consistency
While on low heat stir in the vinegar and sweetener to taste. Start with ½ and work up. Can use more if needed. Much of this depends on the acidity of the tomato and your personal taste.
AC8216BF-33FD-4741-925E-3D8E371BD7E0.jpeg
FBBF47CB-0706-4543-AF78-F8D794EFC88E.jpeg

Yep!! I'll take that meal any day! Definatly looks like flavor town to me. Comfort food at its finest...nice work Jeff !!

Reactions: jcam222
Oh man! That looks incredible! Thank you for the recipe! Tomato soup is the only way I can get one of my kids to eat a veggie!!!!

Oh man! That looks incredible! Thank you for the recipe! Tomato soup is the only way I can get one of my kids to eat a veggie!!!!
Lmk what you think of you make it. Making the broth extra strength is important. Trial and error says it helps it to keep from being too tangy / tomatoey if that makes sense.

Lmk what you think of you make it. Making the broth extra strength is important. Trial and error says it helps it to keep from being too tangy / tomatoey if that makes sense.
Definitely! I’ll make it this week and let you know!

As the mayor of Flavortown would say…that’s off the chain!

Some great looking soup Jeff and a winter staple here when eaten with grilled cheese. Thanks for sharing the recipe, gonna bookmark this one.

Reactions: jcam222 and zwiller
That is a meal I have been eating my whole life, and I still love it.
However, yours is on steroids!
Nice work!
Al

Here I am checking this thread out to see if you used mayo to grill the cheese and see scratched made tomato soup! KILLER. Man Jeff you are killing it! I can see the Sazon addition working well and big fan of it and their Total seasoning. If you are in the mood to play around a little dry sherry/brandy/or both is our hack for Campbell's (and making it with milk instead of water)

I second the grilled cheese with mayo. Makes a big difference. And the mayo for that is Kewpie, if you can find it. It’s a Japanese mayo and it’s also amazing on BLTs. I get mine at a local Asian store but Amazon also sells it.

Man, that is some nice work!! One of my favorite meals. Thanks for the recipe, I'm definately going to make that!.....Then again, since you are from NE Ohio and I'm from NW Pa., I may just show up on your doorstep holding a bowl and a spoon! :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing:

Here I am checking this thread out to see if you used mayo to grill the cheese and see scratched made tomato soup! KILLER. Man Jeff you are killing it! I can see the Sazon addition working well and big fan of it and their Total seasoning. If you are in the mood to play around a little dry sherry/brandy/or both is our hack for Campbell's (and making it with milk instead of water)
I used Dukes for the grilled cheese. Just learned that last year and it’s a game changer over butter.

Reactions: zwiller
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky