Crazy idea for pulled pork (thoughts welcome)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jdmb560

Original poster
Aug 31, 2020
So I just finished up a brisket last weekend and rendered down all the fat in the smoker to make smoked beef tallow. When I wrapped my brisket I put a good coating of the tallow on the paper and then did it again prior to the 18 hour rest. The results were amazing! Such tender and juicy brisket with a strong beef flavor.

So here is my ideas for pulled pork, please let me know your thoughts and opinions.

Smoke my pork shoulder in the standard fashion, but when I go to wrap it in foil drizzle some beef tallow in to add some extra flavor.

Second idea is to hold the shoulder over night like I did the brisket to help pull every ounce of juice back into the shoulder before shredding.

It'll work like a charm.. have you considered using pork fat instead? Frying up a pound or two of bacon should get you all the pork fat that you'd need.

Reactions: 912smoker
It'll work like a charm.. have you considered using pork fat instead? Frying up a pound or two of bacon should get you all the pork fat that you'd need.
I really like this idea as well!

I figured pork lard would work well as it is just adding the same type of fat. The beef tallow crossed my mind because everyone knows a good burger only gets better with bacon on it! So by adding the beef fat would it add to the depth of flavor. I guess I will have to just give this a shot on a smaller shoulder this weekend in preparation for the 4th.

Reactions: kilo charlie
They say “the proof is in the pudding “ in this case the pork so give it a try and report back.

Sounds interesting, if you do try it please report back!

You said you would put the tallow on when you foil --- are you talking about foiled while on the smoker, or foiled while resting? I'm curious where in the process you would add this step.

Sounds interesting, if you do try it please report back!

You said you would put the tallow on when you foil --- are you talking about foiled while on the smoker, or foiled while resting? I'm curious where in the process you would add this step.
I would add the tallow after the stall when I wrap it in foil. For my brisket I always do two wraps one after the stall and then after I hit final temp I take it off the smoker and let it rest until IT is 180 followed by unwrapping it and rewrapping it in more beef tallow and fresh paper. Then it sits in an oven at 165 for 18 hours.

Reactions: ConrodM
They say “the proof is in the pudding “ in this case the pork so give it a try and report back.
Fingers crossed I find a small enough butt to try this on over the weekend. If so I will report back with my findings.

Reactions: ConrodM
I would add the tallow after the stall when I wrap it in foil. For my brisket I always do two wraps one after the stall and then after I hit final temp I take it off the smoker and let it rest until IT is 180 followed by unwrapping it and rewrapping it in more beef tallow and fresh paper. Then it sits in an oven at 165 for 18 hours.
Interesting. I am really curious how this will turn out! It almost certainly won't be bad :emoji_laughing:

I don't wrap my PP as I really like a good bark and never have any problems with moisture so it would be a pretty big shift for me to do this, but I am really curious.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky