crawfish?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
keep the missus, burn that shirt thou
icon_mrgreen.gif
trust me, I was born and raised midwest, live in pacific northwest....but still got that southern blood rushing if you know what I mean.......
PDT_Armataz_01_11.gif

Point given...but apparently my votes don't carry a lot of weight[yet], because you still have zero....
PDT_Armataz_01_15.gif

You have no idea.
PDT_Armataz_01_02.gif

biggrin.gif

i wintered a couple of years ago in Port Townsend,WA...loved it up there but was no ice fishing... so i didnt stay..lol

my brother and his family live up there still

Speaking of Alabama...I saw on the news a few days ago that we are becoming the crawfish capital of the world. We are home to more varieties of crawfish than other place.

I can imagine.

CRAWFISH FESTIVAL Saturday May 19th. Hebert's specialty Meats parking lot. 71st St. , just west of Lewis..(next to Willbros energy). See you guys there? I may be helping cook.

Tim

Speaking of mudbugs, I work at this newspaper as a copy editor and recently, a kid found a crawfish with 6 claws:
http://www.dailycomet.com/apps/pbcs....704240312/1013

You might have to register, so if you don't want to, here's the article:

Now if they could just get the tails to do the same thing
persbilde
John DeSantis
Senior Staff Writer

LABADIEVILLE - Aromas from a sack’s worth of crawfish and an ample helping of Zatarain’s All-In-One on the boil teased Blaine Naquin’s nostrils as he sat on a pickup tailgate Sunday waiting for supper, watching his mom tenderly water her new peach tree.

Then right there, in his daddy’s truck bed, the Labadieville Middle School eighth-grader spotted a lone mudbug that had escaped its sack-mates’ fate.

Closer inspection revealed that this particular crawfish was unlike any that Blaine had seen. Or his parents, or even his 76-year-old Uncle Junior who has eaten crawfish longer than anyone in the family.

Extending from the crustacean’s left arm, where two pincers should have been, were four.

And a little nub too that almost looked like a thumb, bringing the total number of individual claws to six.

“I thought it was weird,” Blaine said. “It looked like it was waving at me.”

The family had come by the oddity in a most ordinary way.

Henry Naquin, who works at the Conrad Shipyard in Morgan City as a forklift and cherry picker operator, was offered the 40-pound sack by his yard supervisor Howard Gaudet, whose brother-in-law catches them near the Spillway.

Henry called his wife, Dawn, to share the good news and at first she said no.

She didn’t want to mess with all that boiling.

A nursing student at Nicholls State University, she had a lot of homework that night.

But she relented and Henry drove the crawfish home in the bed of his white GMC Canyon.

And everything was normal until Blaine discovered the unique crawfish. First he showed Henry.

“What the hell is that?” he exclaimed.

Blaine’s 10-year-old sister Kelsey said, “Wow, that’s amazing.”

Scientists told of the find Monday said they had not heard of such a thing before.

“Sometimes we will see one extra piece of a claw sticking out,” said Greg Lutz, a biologist with Louisiana State University’s Cooperative Extension in Baton Rouge. “It may have just been a mutation, more than likely an unusual mutation. It may have had something to do with a problem when it was molting, some sort of damage when it regenerated.”

Lutz likened the occurrence to the oddities one sees at freak shows, like two-headed snakes. He and other biologists ruled out global warming and environmental issues.

Henry tried keeping the multi-clawed mudbug alive in water, but it succumbed late Sunday.

He now has it in his freezer, where he will keep it for a few days while figuring out what to do with it.

Henry would like to turn a profit from his find but said he doesn’t know where to market it. Asked about E-Bay, the online auction house, he shook his head.

“We’ve never done nothing like that,” he said, noting the find’s significance. “All the crawfish they had in the sack and this one is the one that came out. I’ve got to wonder why just this one? It’s got to be a sign. It’s got to be a sign of something.”

Hay thats a serious question! Crawfish are a staple here. The trick is to hold the body, push the tail in about a quarter inch then twist the tail 90 degree to the right while holding the body straight, then pull the tail straight back. Stick the critter in your mouth and suck the juice out of the body,(head for you perverts out there) with both hands free, snap the first two "rings" off the tail and squeeze the base of the tail with your thumb against your first finger. If you boil them with a stick of butter and don't cook them too long, the tail meat will pop right out of the tail and the vain or "shxt tube" will stay with the shell and you'll have a nice clean piece of tail. I learned this trick from the local Cajuns and after a while it's like eating popcorn, it becomes a fast and fluid motion. I can't eat corn without Zatterans anymore.

It's supposed to be a good crawfish season this year, hope the prices come down a bit more. The prices peak for Good Friday, then they start coming down.

I only cook 'em for 5 minutes once they come to a boil. Then shut off the fire and let 'em soak up the seasonings. Let them soak about 15 minutes and start sampling them. When it's right, take 'em out the water.
They're tiny little critters, they don't take long to 'cook' but the magic is in letting them soak long enough to get the seasonings. If they soak too long, they are still cooking and can crumble apart when you try to pull the meat out and you spend all day trying to peel them.
Some people put ice on top of them when they soak. It makes them sink into the pot and soak up more seasonings, and it should keep them from overcooking.
Zatarains is good stuff. I love this stuff called Chackbay Crab and Shrimp Boil. It's pretty local to me. Chackbay is a community not too far from Thibodaux (remember Amos Moses?) It comes in powder form and it's red like cayenne. Hot stuff.

i know all about that spice...just couldnt remember the name until you brought it up...

i worked out of Slidell last spring and summer.... was all over LA,MS,AL

best place i had eaten shrimps,crab and mudugs was at a place called Raggs(sp?) in Livingston,LA

I try and get to New Orleans every year, speaking of which Jazz Fest is starting this weekend. That Cajun food IS THE BEST, but I have to agree crawdads are the best of the best. The more spice the better. If it don't bring tears to your eyes it ain't hot enough !!!!

PS keywesmoke, suckin' the heads is the best part, it gets you all the juice and flavor
icon_smile.gif

you just dont think about it when you are sucking is all..lol

if you can eat 4 in a row and not have to have something to cool your mouth off, they werent cooked hot enough..lol

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky