Crawfish Pie!! ~ Foamheart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
OMG!!
That looks Freaking Awesome, Foamy!!
I'd have to use Shrimp---The Crayfish around here are only good for Raccoon, or Bass-Bait !!
Beautiful Pies!!
Like.

Bear

Thank you Bear.

LOL... that's cause there is no coonazz up there. That coon would be thrown in the pot with sweet taters to bake and the crawfish gathered up to eat too..... LOL There ain't nothing finer on a friday night as a kid, or a man full grown, than to go out with a good dog and hunt coon!!

I'll Share the old man who taught me to love coon hunting, wife's recipe.

Ingredients:
1ea. (4-to 5) lb young tender coon dressed
4 teaspoons salt
3 cups roasted sweet potatoes mashed
1/2 cup golden raisins
2 1/2 cups bread crumbs
1 1/2 cup apple chopped
1/4 cup dark karo syrup
1/4 cup clarified butter
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/4 cup walnut or pecans chopped

Directions:
Remove the raccoon's waxy nodules ("kernels"), from under each front leg and on either side of the spine in the small of the back. Wash meat thoroughly and dry. Remove part of the fat, leaving just enough to cover the carcass with a thin layer of fat. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon salt inside body. Fill with mixture of 2 teaspoons salt and remaining ingredients except pepper. Skewer the vent with toothpicks and string. If there are any lean parts on the outside of the body, fasten a small piece of the surplus fat to this part with a toothpick. Sprinkle with remaining salt and the pepper. Put on side on greased rack in shallow baking pan and roast in preheated slow oven (325 degrees F.) for 45 minutes per pound. Turn when half done. Makes 6 to 8 servings.

Now ya need to go get ya a nice fat young coon, throw it on the table and get ya bride to clean it for you tro cook.I'll guaranty this recipe is well over 100 years old.

It's like seeing people post jambalaya recipes without nutria... Dat ain't jambalaya!

When I got my first gun for Christmas I went out in the cane field hunting. I was a little fellar, I shot a nurtia, I was sooo proud I brought it home to show my Pop. He made me dress it and cook it and eat it to make a point that has always stayed with me. If you shot something you need a reason, if not for protection, you better be ready to eat it. When I got my gun, I got a box of bullets. After the first box to learn with, I got two free shots per hunt. After that I best have something for the table. Bullets (Western long rifle .22 cal), were .59 cents a box..... wow. Remington cost more....LOL

Crawfish Pie Me Oh My.... Looks soooo delicious. You made pie during the Tech game. And I made chili during the LSU game.

Last edited:
Thank you Disco, Why don't I ever see ya around here anymore? You getting sneaky now? I still check your page, always looking for something great I can try. Or just enjoy the garden or pictures of the snow!
Life has just got in the way and kept me busy. It is good to be back.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky