Cracker Barrel loaded hash brown casserole

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
While coming back from the falls we stopped at a Cracker Barrel restaurant for breakfast/lunch. I wasn't very hungry. So I just went with the sausage gravy and biscuits. But, the wife was a bit more lively. And got eggs, bacon, toast. And something that they called "loaded hash brown casserole" Which she tried . She then proclaimed that this needs to be made a national holiday in honor of this dish. After her threatening to bit my hand if I tried to take a piece to sample. Umm, that was made up. She offered. But let's keep to the story, ok?
I tried a piece. And it was tasty. So, it is now my task to figure out how is was made. We both agreed that it had:
Hash browns.
Finely minced onion
Salt
Pepper
Butter
Cheese. I did some looking. And there is a divided front between cheddar and Colby.
And a binder. Which cream of chicken soup appears to be a popular choice.
The one she had also had bacon on the top. Which none of the recipes I found included it.
So, here is my take:
2 pounds of frozen hash browns
1 onion, finely diced
1/ 2 cup melted unsalted butter
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
I decided on 8 oz colbyjack cheese
1 small can cream of chicken soup.
Cheddar cheese.
Bacon
Mix the cream of chicken soup,melted butter, salt, pepper, onion, and cheese together. Then mix in the frozen hash browns gently by hand. And transfer to a 9x13 baking dish.
Cook for 60 minutes at 350.
Remove from the oven. And top with a nice layer of cheddar cheese and bacon. I used about a cup of cheese. And a lot of bacon. It was a pound of thick sliced. But there was snacking involved. So it was a bit less. Then put back in oven. And broil for a few minutes to get a nice brown on the cheese. I'll post more as I build it.

The bacon cooked and ready. And in the fridge so hopefully I'll stop snacking on it!

bacon.jpg

That sounds close enough, I dont have my recipes at hand but that's about get right on with ours.
our salt/pepper and any other spices where ya want them.

We often load ours with ham, bacon or sausage, and top with flour gravy.

Thanks Chili. I was hoping it was close. We're going to have my smoked boneless pork chops with them. When I plate mine. I'll be putting hot sauce on casserole. Franks of course. ;)

We don't have Cracker Barrel in our neck of the woods. Below is an egg, meat, and potato casserole I make the night before we get up early to go see our kids. Makes for a quick breakfast.

Spray a 9x13 casserole

4-6 cooked sausage links, sliced (or 1 lb bacon, cooked crispy and chopped, or 1 lb caseless sausage, cooked). Spread in bottom of the casserole
12 eggs, whisked.
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup coconut milk (or cream)
1 can diced green peppers, drained
1 tsp cumin
Mix eggs, salt, milk, peppers, and cumin. Add to casserole.
8 oz mont. jack cheese, shredded. Add half.
8 oz cheddar cheese, shredded. Add half.
Frozen Tater Tots to cover
Cover with rest of cheese
Bake uncovered at 350 for 1 hour

Last edited:
Reactions: Fueling Around
Looks good Steve, I’ll have to look for that the next time I’m there. I usually get a side of their shredded hash browns but I’ll try this if I can make a meal out of it.

Thanks all! They were pretty easy to make. And worked well with the smoked chops.

Breakfast bakes, casseroles, hotdish, dish to go, etc. are fun to create and serve.
We don't have Cracker Barrel in our neck of the woods. Below is an egg, meat, and potato casserole I make the night before we get up early to go see our kids. Makes for a quick breakfast.
Frozen Tater Tots to cover
I make dishes with tater tots. I stack them vertically maximize the potato ratio.

Tasted great. But next time I'll use the reduced sodium cream of chicken soup. To counter the salt from the bacon.
I make my own soups. (That's a period.) So nice to have a "no salt added" cream of ... soup to add to the dish or serve for a meal.

Try Texas Pete hot sauce.

Reactions: Steve H
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky