Cowboy Candy (Via East Texas)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks gary s gary s ! I'm going to do this soon.
Steve, any bread and butter pickle recipe will work great seeing that is essentially what cowboy candy Jap's are. You and use any peppers that you want as well if you want more heat. I use red and green Fresno's & Serrano's whenever I make up a batch of theJap's for a little more heat, and they are amazing. Trust me the stuff is addicting.

PS. always add a dry chili or two to your jars, it looks nice and give it a little more flavor.
I add these to each jar.
1604662053377.png

At Thanksgiving and Christmas I dice up 1/2 pint and mix into a good size tub of cream cheese and put it out with crackers...i
Mind blown. My uncle make something very similar to this and I always give a cracker a swipe of cream cheese and a few slicer but it's messy... Mix them together GENIUS!

I've got to make this stuff! Anyone care to share a good recipe? I've seen them floating around would love to try one.

Gary's recipe & Step by step is on Post #9.

Bear

There's stuff on that site I've never heard of. Or heard of. But never seen. Where's that CC?
That sammie looks great Bear!

Thank You Steve!!
Check on Post # 9, above.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Reactions: 73saint
Here you go Steve

Pa-Pa’s

Almost

World Famous

Cowboy Candy

aka

Sweet-Hot Jalapeno’s​

Ingredients

3 pounds Firm, Fresh Jalapeno Peppers, Washed

2 cups Cider Vinegar

6 cups White Granulated Sugar

½ teaspoons Turmeric

½ teaspoons Celery Seed

3 teaspoons Chopped Garlic

Preparation Instructions

Wearing gloves, remove the stems from all of the jalapeno peppers. The easiest way to do this is to slice a small disc off of the stem-end along with the stem. Discard the stems.

Slice the peppers into uniform 1/8-1/4 inch rounds. Set aside.( I like the ¼ inch)

In a large pot, bring cider vinegar, white sugar, turmeric, celery seed and granulated garlic to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the pepper slices and simmer for 4 or 5 minutes. (Till peppers start to turn army green. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the peppers, loading into clean, sterile canning jars to within 1/4 inch of the upper rim of the jar. I take the remaining syrup and pour through a strainer, (Just to get rid of some of the seeds) Return Syrup to pot, turn heat up under the pot with the syrup and bring to a full rolling boil.

Use a ladle to pour the boiling syrup into the jars over the jalapeno slices. Insert a cooking chopstick to the bottom of the jar two or three times to release any trapped pockets of air. Adjust the level of the syrup if necessary. Wipe the rims of the jars with a clean, damp paper towel and fix on new, two-piece lids to finger-tip tightness.

If you do not want to can these to the point of shelf stable, you can simply put the jars in your refrigerator and store them there If you wish to can them, follow the instructions below.

Note: If you have leftover syrup, and it is likely that you will, you may can it in half-pint or pint jars, too. It’s wonderful brushed on meat on the grill or added to potato salad or, or, or … in short, don’t toss it out!

To can, place jars in a canner and cover with water by 2-inches. Bring the water to a full rolling boil. When it reaches a full rolling boil, set the timer for 10 minutes for half-pints or 15 minutes for pints. When timer goes off, use canning tongs to transfer the jars to a cooling rack. Leave them to cool, undisturbed, for 24 hours. When fully cooled, wipe them with a clean, damp washcloth, then label.

Allow to mellow for at least two weeks, but preferably a month before eating. If you Can !!!!

Gary

Thank You Gary!!
And Thanks for posting the Recipe.

Bear

That pulled pork sammie looks outstanding Bear. I like the heat and I bet some of that CC minced up would be good in pork shots.

Point for sure
Chris

gary s gary s thanks for posting the recipe.

Looks good Bear! I can't handle a lot of heat anymore myself, but would try this, and maybe cut the heat a little.

Thank You Mike!!
I'm a little bit on the Wimp side on heat---It just isn't a big thing in PA, at least in my part of PA.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Looks real good Bear!
And thanks gary s gary s for posting the recipe for CC.
I’m gonna make some for sure!
Al

Thanks for the Like, Al.
Give us a yell to how you like it, Al !!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Looks good John. I was going to comment that my local store stopped carrying Cowboy Candy and I needed to make some. Thanks Gary for the Recipe, saves research time, as I trust you and the guys here...JJ

Thank You Jimmy!!
Yup, you can trust recipes we find on SMF.

Bear

For those of you with a Trader Joe's near you they sell bread and butter jap's that are essentially the same as cowboy candy. (they are near the relish and pickled peppers around here.)
I eat them straight out of the jar, but they are great on burgers, dog's, sandwiches in chili you name it they are excellent as well.

I gotta try grinding some of these finer, and try them on a Cheesesteak or a couple burgers.
BTW: If Peter Piper picked a Peck of Pickled Peppers, how many Peppers did Peter Piper Pick???

Bear

A peck is 8 dry quarts. I'm not that smart, was curious, so I looked it up. LOL.

A peck is 8 dry quarts. I'm not that smart, was curious, so I looked it up. LOL.

Thanks Mike!
LOL---That's pretty smart:
I've been asking that question for years, and that's the first answer I ever got.
I guess now it depends on the sizes of the peppers to find out how many Peppers Peter Piper Picked.

Bear

Thanks Mike!
LOL---That's pretty smart:
I've been asking that question for years, and that's the first answer I ever got.
I guess now it depends on the sizes of the peppers to find out how many Peppers Peter Piper Picked.

Bear
Right, how many peppers are in a peck? That's a question for the ages. LOL.

Right, how many peppers are in a peck? That's a question for the ages. LOL.

That used to be a "Tongue Twister":
And I used to tell it to Bear Jr, when he was just a little Fellah.
Then He used to ask me how many, and I'd always tell him "5,280".
That's how he learned how many feet were in a mile.

Bear

Reactions: MJB05615
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky