Covid Quarantine Snack Sticks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
Well shoot... Cooked for the guys at the firehouse Last Saturday. They did a transport of a Covid case to the hospital. 2 people on shift caught it along with my brother. He gave it to me. I caught it from him (Apparently this delta strain is so contageous that being a supertaster did not help me.) His truck blew an engine monday so I helped him get it home...he rode in my truck with me. He needed to pick up some parts from the local auto parts warehouse Thursday or I would have made the sticks then, pushed it back until Friday. Right after I finished cutting the meat up for grinding, I could feel it. Body ache, slight head ache, fever spiked to 100.5*F last night around 9pm (no fever this morning). But I was committed at that point-no turning back. I started a massive preventative regiment with supplements and Ivermectin. I took my time. And took a lot of breaks between steps, but finally got it done around 11pm last night. I have the sticks hanging in the smokehouse with a pan of water over a ceramic bulb set to 85*F for fermentation. I will check the pH in the morning then roll some cherry/hickory smoke to them.

IMG_20210813_224805825.jpg

Oh-these are goose/pork jalapeno and cheese snack sticks.

I was not all that hungry for supper, but did fry what was left in the stuffer hopper. Heated two leftover tortillas and that was supper. Pretty good...glad I have not lost my sense of taste.

I crashed after eating. Will be cleaning the kitchen today...

IMG_20210813_233145005.jpg

Sticks look really good Inda. Glad to hear the delta didn't knock you out. I wonder if the delta strain can survive in the sticks. Be careful.

Point for sure
Chris

Gonna be tasty. I've never had goose sticks but can imagine how good they are. Hope you get on the mend soon bud

Looks great so far man, get feeling better!
Thanks WHB!

Sticks look really good Inda. Glad to hear the delta didn't knock you out. I wonder if the delta strain can survive in the sticks. Be careful.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks gmc. I would not think it should be a problem. But I will eat them all by myself if I have too! LOL!

Gonna be tasty. I've never had goose sticks but can imagine how good they are. Hope you get on the mend soon bud
Thanks Jake. This is some of the meat from that big goose hunt I went on last year... I have a couple more bags left. Want to do a pepperoni/mozzarella stick next.

Reactions: TNJAKE
Very nice! I always wanted to learn how to make meat snack sticks. Thanks for sharing. What all do you need to make those? Any tips? Thanks Blue
(Hope you get rid of the Covid soon. Stay well.)

Thanks NE1ForSmokin. Here is a tutorial on snack sticks by one of our members...
https://twoguysandacooler.com/snack-sticks/

These are fermented snack sticks. The culture bacteria takes the sugars (dextrose) and through fermentation create lactic acid which drops the pH in the sticks for the tang. You can use ECA (encapsulated citric acid) instead of going through the fermentation step. Or some people use fermento buttermilk to drop the pH. I rather the taste of fermented sticks.....

Reactions: NE1ForSmokin
Thanks gmc. I would not think it should be a problem. But I will eat them all by myself if I have too! LOL!

What a MAN!!!! Taking one for the team like that. :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing:
Sure hope you beat that Covid Delta in record time, Inda, and get feeling better real soon--30 lbs of snack sticks is a lot to eat when you're not firing on all eight.
Gary

Reactions: indaswamp
Glad to hear you're kicking virus butt, young man!
That's a load of snak-sticks! If Canadian Geese would work there are enough around here for at least a couple of million.
Nasty things are a plague on the city, but you're not allowed to hurt them. I still don't know why.
I could have had 10 of them yesterday with my car. Two lanes blocked while a gaggle of them took their time waddling across the road.....

Nice load of stick. I bet they are delicious. Hoping for a speedy recovery. Did you not get covid on the first round? We did and we aren’t to concerned about this second wave. Take care.

Glad to hear you're kicking virus butt, young man!
That's a load of snak-sticks! If Canadian Geese would work there are enough around here for at least a couple of million.
Nasty things are a plague on the city, but you're not allowed to hurt them. I still don't know why.
I could have had 10 of them yesterday with my car. Two lanes blocked while a gaggle of them took their time waddling across the road.....
Thanks sm! Geese are a game bird and have a hunting season. can't intentionally kill them outside of that.

I finally getting overmy sinus infection. Being sick sucks. Couple friends sick now. No Brewery today. Quick recovery to you.
Thanks Brian. It's just a pain in the butt having to quarantine.

Nice load of stick. I bet they are delicious. Hoping for a speedy recovery. Did you not get covid on the first round? We did and we aren’t to concerned about this second wave. Take care.
Thanks SE, Nope, I did not catch Covid first or second wave. They say this delta has an R0 somewhere between 5 and 9 meaning if it's on the high end, after 8 replications 43 million people could get infected, and infected individuals are carrying 1200% higher viral load in their airways. All this makes it super contagious; about as bad as chicken pox. But, I have no fear, viruses tend to mutate toward more contagious and less lethal, which is proving to be true with this delta strain.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Thanks sm! Geese are a game bird and have a hunting season. can't intentionally kill them outside of that.

Thanks Brian. It's just a pain in the butt having to quarantine.

Thanks SE, Nope, I did not catch Covid first or second wave. They say this delta has an R0 somewhere between 5 and 9 meaning if it's on the high end, after 8 replications 43 million people could get infected, and infected individuals are carrying 1200% higher viral load in their airways. All this makes it super contagious; about as bad as chicken pox. But, I have no fear, viruses tend to mutate toward more contagious and less lethal, which is proving to be true with this delta strain.
Agree, and stay safe.

Man that is a mess of sticks!
I could just hang out on the couch watching a movie, munching on the sticks & drinking beer!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky