Couple of Weekend Fatties

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

clifish

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 25, 2019
Long Island, NY
Heavy on the pics I know nobody minds that. we having some people over this past weekend and made a couple of fatties, a sausage and a chicken cordon bleu. Sausage one first
Rolled out a combo of Italian sausage and ground pork, sorry but for some reason I failed to get a pic of that one before I rolled it. I filled it with onions, peppers, garlic and mozzarella cheese.
sausage fattie2.jpg

Ignore my feet in the pictures, instead of a bacon weave I used prosciutto as the wrap instead.
sausage fattie3.jpg

all rolled tight and into the fridge to tighten up. Ground sausage and pork rolled really nice and tight, much better than the chicken.
sausage fattie4.jpg

dusted it with some of Jeff's original rub...
sausage fattie5.jpg

On the tray to head to the smoker
sausage fattie.jpg

Onto the chicken cordon bleu, ground chicken stuffed with swiss and ham. I found the ground chicken to be very loose and tough to roll and keep in shape, I even added a couple of eggs and Italian bread crumbs to try and tighten it up. Went into the fridge and then the freezer for a bit to make it a little easier to roll in the bacon weave.
chicken fatte2.jpg

First bacon weave, not bad? Of course I used some of the guidance from everyone here to get it right.
chicken fatte1.jpg

rub.jpg

All rolled up and dusted with Oak ridge BBQ Secret Weapon rub.
smoker.jpg
smoker1.jpg

Into the box at 275 with pitmaster blend pellets in the tube. I actually had to turn down the heat as they were going to ready too early.
sausage fattie6.jpg
chicken fatte3.jpg

Pulled them at 165, I did crank the heat up to 300 at the end to get that crisp and color.
chicken fatte4.jpg

Sliced and ready to go. I put out some pizza sauce for the sausage one on the left. That one turned out really good, the chicken one meh, seemed like all the stuffing got lost in that one, maybe I did not add enough or possibly it leaked out. It was still tasty but not sure I would do that again.

Looks great, I love doing fatties. Very nice weave , You say first one. Well done sir.
I like the idea of the prosciutto as the wrap . For the chicken you might have just needed more filling.

Fine looking fatty's, great color for the crust

David

Reactions: clifish
Nice job, Sir!
I'm surprised the prosciutto stuck so well. Great idea.
Most chicken tends to be "dryer" than sausage. Maybe a little fat of some kind in the grind would have helped.
Again, being dryer it will soak up moisture from your stuffing making it look like less. The flavors are still there.
Looks like a couple of fine fatties to me!

Nice job, Sir!
Most chicken tends to be "dryer" than sausage. Maybe a little fat of some kind in the grind would have helped.
Again, being dryer it will soak up moisture from your stuffing making it look like less. The flavors are still there.
Thanks, I bought everything pre-ground. I have not added a grinder to my arsenal yet, thinking about it but have way too many appliances. Maybe when I retire someday.

Nice job, Sir!
yes it did, I also folded up from the bottom and folded it from the top to hold it in place.

Those look absolutely outstanding!! Love the idea of the prosciutto wrap. Fantastic idea!! Extremely well done and some really nice pics. Thanks for sharing.

Robert

Hey Warren, are talking about the white sheet in the first couple of pics? That is just the markings on the parchment paper. Or are you talking about the grill mat in the smoker? I use those for anything that might stick or fall through the metal grate.

Hey Warren, are talking about the white sheet in the first couple of pics? That is just the markings on the parchment paper. Or are you talking about the grill mat in the smoker? I use those for anything that might stick or fall through the metal grate.

Hahaha fat finger I guess corrected the post. It was supposed to be what's next in the fattie line.

Warren

Hahaha fat finger I guess corrected the post. It was supposed to be what's next in the fattie line.

Warren
Ha that is funny, I am not sure whats next, was thinking bratwurst stuffed with onions, pickled red cabbage maybe a side of spetchel?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky