Couple Butts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jake curius what Killer Hogs you use. I saw some at my local walmart on the shelf so I thought why not, has to be good.... Its Malcom Reed!!!
It was KH BBQ Rub
I usually add additional rub to my pork after its pulled to add a little more bit of salt.
The KH BBQ Rub tasted amazing when sampled out of the container but was hugely disappointed with the end result / flavor. It made the pork sweet, reminded me of like a Hawaiian flare of flavor. Not what I expected!!!
My guess is way to much brown sugar just made everything I used it on overly sweet & no saltiness to it what so ever...
Was trying to blow through it & one morning threw some on some fried eggs & wife even commented, "what did you put on the eggs, they taste sweet"....
She had no idea of my initial thoughts of the product & she just confirmed.....
I actually tossed it after that!

Jake curius what Killer Hogs you use. I saw some at my local walmart on the shelf so I thought why not, has to be good.... Its Malcom Reed!!!
It was KH BBQ Rub
I usually add additional rub to my pork after its pulled to add a little more bit of salt.
The KH BBQ Rub tasted amazing when sampled out of the container but was hugely disappointed with the end result / flavor. It made the pork sweet, reminded me of like a Hawaiian flare of flavor. Not what I expected!!!
My guess is way to much brown sugar just made everything I used it on overly sweet & no saltiness to it what so ever...
Was trying to blow through it & one morning threw some on some fried eggs & wife even commented, "what did you put on the eggs, they taste sweet"....
She had no idea of my initial thoughts of the product & she just confirmed.....
I actually tossed it after that!
I used the same. I like it pretty good. It is brown sugar based but most Memphis style rubs are. Sorry it wasn't salty enough. It has 105 mg salt per 2g serving which is actually pretty high. His KH hot hog rub is pretty good. I've tried hundreds of rubs so I don't really have a favorite. I just order 6-8 at a time and use them up and sometimes one makes the permanent rotation. Some good stuff on the market if you're willing to experiment and spend a little money

Reactions: 912smoker
I used the same. I like it pretty good. It is brown sugar based but most Memphis style rubs are. Sorry it wasn't salty enough. It has 105 mg salt per 2g serving which is actually pretty high. His KH hot hog rub is pretty good. I've tried hundreds of rubs so I don't really have a favorite. I just order 6-8 at a time and use them up and sometimes one makes the permanent rotation. Some good stuff on the market if you're willing to experiment and spend a little money
No reason to apologize I didnt get the stuff off of your reccomendation....
Was just at WM & thought KH, that suppose to be good stuff!!
Just wanted to share my take & was curious if you still used it.
The sugar content over powers any of the salt content in my opinion.
Thought it would have been a better option to the PittBoss Pulled Pork rub that I use, KillerHogs deff not to my tasting after trying it.

Reactions: TNJAKE
Personal taste is very subjective. That's why they are recommendations. I shared some brined bbq chicken with 2 friends. One didn't like it, too smoky, the other said it was the best bbq chicken he had (he is 68). I figure it is somewhere in between. I cook to my palette so if I like it I am happy. Always willing to try new rubs and sauces. Some make it into rotation and others one and done.

Reactions: MJB05615 and TNJAKE
Hattie B's and Prince's have a feud about who actually started Nashville hot chicken. To me hattie B's is the best. There are hundreds of places around here for it. They do fat tenders, whole wings, and bone in breasts. Those are the most popular parts. Breaded in seasoned flour. There are many different heat levels. Fried in oil. Then after fried dipped in a hot oil and cayenne heavy mixture then dusted with the cayenne rub minus the oil. I can send you a shaker of some popular hot chicken seasoning from here if you pm address. Our kroger carries a pretty good version of their store brand not sure if that's nation wide. The key though is that hot oil cayenne dip after frying. Like I said be happy to send you some
I noticed that Kosmo's has a Wing Dust called 'Nashville Hot Chicken'. It's too new to be on the Big Poppa Site (and qualify for free shipping on those special days) but maybe they will stock it by the time the next free day comes around. A buddy is dropping some samples of Wing Dust to me today or tomorrow. It comes in many flavors and you add it AFTER cooking. I'm looking forward to trying this out.

I noticed that Kosmo's has a Wing Dust called 'Nashville Hot Chicken'. It's too new to be on the Big Poppa Site (and qualify for free shipping on those special days) but maybe they will stock it by the time the next free day comes around. A buddy is dropping some samples of Wing Dust to me today or tomorrow. It comes in many flavors and you add it AFTER cooking. I'm looking forward to trying this out.

Haven't tried his Nashville hot. But I have this and it's pretty delicious
IMG_20210126_125742.jpg

Is there an Ace Hardware near you ?
Most in Ga are carrying the Kosmos line and can get anything on his site shipped to there store with no shipping cost for us. I order locally on a regular basis.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky