County Fair Turkey Leg

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Cody_Mack

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 8, 2021
Fulshear, TX
Thanksgiving Day family gathering was at brother-in-law’s. He brined and smoked a turkey, and they had ham, so I got off pretty easy this year.

I wasn’t totally slacking, however, cause I took some of my fresh-made Canadian Bacon, and some of my just-finished Bacon-On-A-Stick (smoked two racks Wednesday night and Thursday morning (after 7-day cure). Both were an extreme hit, even six-year-old grandson couldn’t get enough of the ribs!

Brother-in-law’s turkey was ok, and no doubt I was filling his head with ideas how to improve it next year…Ha!

And then here comes Friday, and Wife starts with, “I’m ready for my turkey sandwich on your homemade bread!” Oops! But not to worry; I have thawed the $0.37/lber I got at HEB and also scored a bottle of injection.

But I’m not stopping there! I removed the legs, thighs and wings and put back in the fridge for later; planning to cure and smoke those. Then I injected the breasts and put in the Infrared “fryer” for about 90 minutes. Looks pretty good! Meanwhile, Wife went to get a burger with the kids, so I guess now we’re having turkey sandwich for dinner!

But now the real reason for this post is a question: how much cure and how long for the thighs and legs and wings? I want to create a turkey leg like you get at the County Fair or the Renaissance Festival, etc. That’s the only way I enjoy a turkey leg. And I can’t wait to taste the dark thigh meat brought to its full potential.

Attachments

• IMG_3276.JPG
    IMG_3276.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3278.JPG
    IMG_3278.JPG
    239.4 KB · Views: 16
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky