Country Style Ribs (in my Old Toy)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
Country Style Ribs (in my Old Toy)

This is the way I used to do CSRs, before I got a Smoker in 2009.
This is the way they instructed in the Book that came with the “Showtime Rotisserie”.
In 2009 the cord was heating up, and I got interested in Smoking, so I cleaned it up & put it away.
The Ribs were always Great this way—Tender & Tasty, but not smoked.
So Mrs Bear was always hounding me to make some that way, or she said she will do them in the Crockpot.

So since I’ve been having all kinds of trouble getting around, and I used to like them this way too,
I figured I’d try to fix the Showtime & give it a go.
So we took the thing apart & checked it out, and it turned out the wire was broken inside, right at the plug.
Probably happened from pulling the plug out, by the cord, including Me (I confess).
So we cut it off & attached a new plug on the old cord, and it works Fine.

So I Thawed & rinsed almost 4 pounds of Bone In Country Style Ribs, and put them in a Pot of Water.
Then I brought it up to Boil, but only for a second, then cut it way back to simmer. Sounds strange to boil ribs, but they are only at “Boil” for a few seconds, and then right to Simmer. I just turn the heat off as soon as I take it off boil, and leave it there for about 15 minutes. I figure a couple minutes at 212° in water, doesn’t hurt any more than an hour or more @ 230° air Temp, and this is the method they recommend in their
recipe book.

Then I let them cool to the point of being able to handle them good enough to slide them onto my 6 skewers.
Then I snap the skewers in position on the rotating skewer wheel, with the 4 pointed triggers on the right.
I made sure no 2 big ones were next to each other, so they don’t fight with each other while rotating.
Those triggers will be doing the turning of the individual skewers when they hit the gear on the right, as the whole wheel goes by. This way each time one comes around to the front, it’s ready for some more basting.
So this Batch I basted with a squirt bottle of Kelchner’s Pineapple Teriyaki Marinade & a basting Brush.
I did them all a few rotations for 3 times over the next half hour. Then I checked them to make sure they were all at least 145° IT , and they were, so I removed them to a Plate.
Then I put one of the bigger ones on a plate for Me, along with some Cut Green Beans & some Spanish Rice.

Then the next day I needed some Snacking Treats, so I sliced a bunch of CSR in bite-size pieces, squirted some with Teriyaki, and some with “Mike’s Hot Honey” & Nuked them up nice & Hot.

Then that second night I cut some more slices of CSR, and some little slices of some Loin Ham, squirted some Teriyaki on the CSR slices & some Mike’s Hot Honey on the Loin Ham, and some Spanish Rice in the Middle. Then I Nuked it all up.

That Made the Bear Happy for another Night’s Supper.

Thanks for stopping by,

Bear

4 Pounds of Bone-in Country Style Ribs:
IMG_5730.jpeg

Trimmed a couple loose parts off:
IMG_5731.jpeg

Into a Pot, bring to Boil, then immediately cut back to Simmer for 15 minutes:
IMG_5732.jpeg

After Simmering for 15 minutes. Letting cool, so I could handle them easily:
IMG_5733.jpeg

All Skewered Up, and ready for Spinning:
IMG_5734.jpeg

All in place on Spinner Wheel:
IMG_5735.jpeg

Basting with Kelchner's Pineapple Teriyaki Marinade--Sauce:
IMG_5736.jpeg

3rd round of Basting:
IMG_5737.jpeg

Removed from Spinner Wheel to plate:
IMG_5738.jpeg

Other Side:
IMG_5739.jpeg

Bear's First Helping for Supper, with Cut Green Beens & Spanish Rice:
IMG_5740.jpeg

Next Day Snack, with Teriyaki on left pieces and Mike's Hot Honey on Right pieces:
IMG_5742.jpeg

Next Night's Supper of Loin Ham on left with Hot Honey, and CSR pieces on Right with Teriyaki:
IMG_5743.jpeg

And a Pile of Spanish Rice in the Middle & Nuke everything nice & Hot:
IMG_5744.jpeg

Those look good. I seem to struggle with these. Used to be able to grill and be tender but now they always come out tough. A friend boils them and they always tender. Thought about giving that a shot.

Beautiful piece of work Bear, big Like! I've had my Showtime 4000 for what seems like forever, does a perfect job every time, the original set it and forget it. You probably remember the Popeil Pocket Fisherman too! RAY

Looks great Bear! The only issue I have, I wouldn't be able to eat just one of those you got there! LOL. They look so darn good, I'd have to eat the next night's portion too.
I used to boil them and then grill before I got into smoking.

Those look great Bear. I've heard stories some of the "old timer" BBQ joints from my childhood supposedly boiled certain cuts prior to smoking. I've been curious about the process every since.
Nice post.

looks good Bear! Sometimes kinda nice to break out the old toys and enjoy them. I too would have a hard time just eating one also!

Ryan

Reactions: MJB05615
Looks great Bear! I dont think I could have waited to plate those. I would have just ate them right off the skewers! Lol!

My mom use to boil her ribs before cooking them in the oven, and my wife's niece boils hers and then into the crock pot. Different for sure. They were always tender. Yours Look Mighty Good,

Gary

Those look good. I seem to struggle with these. Used to be able to grill and be tender but now they always come out tough. A friend boils them and they always tender. Thought about giving that a shot.

Thank You Brian!!
Yup---This way always works for me.
My other favorite on these is SV & then Grill for the flavor.
Country Style Ribs (SV & Grill Best Ever) (Pork)

Bear

Looks very tasty....

JC :emoji_cat:

Thank You JC !!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

They look pretty good and you can certainly turn out some great food. But I have these voices ringing in my ears "If you boil them, the Terrorists win!!" and it will not stop. 😉

Beautiful piece of work Bear, big Like! I've had my Showtime 4000 for what seems like forever, does a perfect job every time, the original set it and forget it. You probably remember the Popeil Pocket Fisherman too! RAY

Thank You Ray!!
Not sure how long I have this thing--must be at least 20 years, but it sat in a closet for the last 10, while I was Smoking everything that didn't move!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Looks great Bear! The only issue I have, I wouldn't be able to eat just one of those you got there! LOL. They look so darn good, I'd have to eat the next night's portion too.
I used to boil them and then grill before I got into smoking.

Thank You Mike!!
I used to eat like that, but my Stomach seems to have shrunk, and it's a lot easier to cut down on my portions these days. Down to 228 lbs.:emoji_sunglasses:
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Ha just to prove old things can still be great just like you and me.
Great looking meal (all 3).

Warren

Thank You Warren!!
LOL---I don't work so good any more, but I try.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Always with the tasty looking cooks.
Jim

Thanks Jim!!
And for the Like.

Bear

Thank You Ray!!
Not sure how long I have this thing--must be at least 20 years, but it sat in a closet for the last 10, while I was Smoking everything that didn't move!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Thank You Mike!!
I used to eat like that, but my Stomach seems to have shrunk, and it's a lot easier to cut down on my portions these days. Down to 228 lbs.:emoji_sunglasses:
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear
228LBS? I haven't weighed 228 since I was 10. LOL.

Those look great Bear. I've heard stories some of the "old timer" BBQ joints from my childhood supposedly boiled certain cuts prior to smoking. I've been curious about the process every since.
Nice post.

Thank You Randy!!
What I did is at boil for such a short time, I don't know what make the CSRs Tender, but they are. I figured that quick "Boil to Simmer" is just to get them to "Safe" quick.
Then the half hour in the Spinner cooks them & flavors them, with the Basting.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Reactions: texomakid
Another good cook , and another option . Nice work .

Have to watch 'em these days . Some have a lot of lean loin meat on them .

Thank You Rich!!
I always pick "Bone-in", and so far they've been from the shoulder & not the loin. They have some fat on them too.
The boneless CSRs are almost always from the Loin.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky