Country Style Rib Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

procraft

Original poster
Aug 3, 2012
Franklin Kentucky
I picked up some country style ribs at the store today. Have not ever tried smoking country style before. Plan on smoking them tomorrow. These are some big thick cuts. I have seen some try the 3-2-1 method and seen the 2-1.5-.5 and so on. Here is what they look like. Got them rubbed down and in the fridge at the moment. Anyone have any tips on keeping them tender and juicy? What is the best method for these especially these thick as they are? Thanks.

I think the thing you want to ask yourself is what you want the end result to be. CSR's are in most cases sliced pork butt. I believe they're supposed to be sliced loin with the rib still attached, but this is usually not the case, especially when they're offered on a really good sale. So, assuming you've got a bunch of butt slices, do you want them to be ûuber tender like pulled pork or do you want more of a steak consistency? If the former, treat them like spare ribs. The 3-2-1 method should get you in the ball park. If your desire is the latter, I'd take them to about 180• then wrap and rest.

OK, I just fired up the laptop so I could see the pictures better than on my phone. Those are definitely pork butt slices. If it were me, I'd probably just do them the same way I do ribs. 275˚ for 3 hours in the smoke, 45 minutes to an hour in foil, then maybe 25-30 minutes back on the grate to set the glaze and firm them up. If they're really, really thick, adjust your times as needed.

Good luck and let us know how they turned out.

OK, I just fired up the laptop so I could see the pictures better than on my phone. Those are definitely pork butt slices. If it were me, I'd probably just do them the same way I do ribs. 275˚ for 3 hours in the smoke, 45 minutes to an hour in foil, then maybe 25-30 minutes back on the grate to set the glaze and firm them up. If they're really, really thick, adjust your times as needed.

Good luck and let us know how they turned out.
i vote this way.

happy smoken.

david

Thanks.. Some are fairly thick. So I will adjust the time accordingly. 

I definitely don't want them to turn out like pulled pork. I want them to turn out kinda like spare ribs. Juicy and tender with a little pull to them.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky